cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

API Login with Login Name

Angelina Talley
Level 5
Level 5

I know I have seen similar posts in the past, but I am hoping to get the latest info.

We've written an application that utilizes the Finesse XMPP as well as REST API functionality, and we of course need to log into both. But, we'd like to allow users to log in either with login ID or login name (as Finesse desktop does), rather than just login ID. Our research so far has shown that I can't login without first translating that login name to to the corresponding login ID and using that as my credentials. But, I can't do something like pull a User object to get the mapping to do that translation without having the ID, or so it seems.

So, I'm posting to find out:

1. am I missing a step here that would allow us to authenticate and log in with login name without first knowing the ID?

2. if not, I know Finesse desktop is doing it, seemingly translating from login name to ID before even calling the Get User REST service. I've watched the communication in the browser console and can see that it has happened, but so far I can't isolate how. Is this something we can replicate if it's not a simple as logging into the API/XMPP the normal way with the ID?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

dekwan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Finesse's desktop is able to login with login name because it has direct access to the realm. Unfortunately it is not something that can be replicated in the same way.

The only way to get around the chicken and the egg situation where you need the ID to do the user GET is to use the administrator credential to get the full list of agents via the User - Get List API. Then, filter the response for the loginName and grab the Id from there.

Thanx,

Denise

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

dekwan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Finesse's desktop is able to login with login name because it has direct access to the realm. Unfortunately it is not something that can be replicated in the same way.

The only way to get around the chicken and the egg situation where you need the ID to do the user GET is to use the administrator credential to get the full list of agents via the User - Get List API. Then, filter the response for the loginName and grab the Id from there.

Thanx,

Denise

Thanks! We'd kind of feared that would be the answer (and had starting discussing the design for pulling that list), but thanks for the tip on what Finesse was doing! Saved me quite a bit more investigation time.