cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How can I filter UCS Director account important by UPN or email field from Microsoft Active Directory.

KwahBK006
Level 1
Level 1

Currently I encounter problem in the importing of account from MS AD for UCS Director. Once configure all the account in MS AD is imported. Is there anyway I can import account with valid email address. example xxx@whoisit.com

7 Replies 7

tcerling
Level 4
Level 4

Could you explain what you are trying to do instead of how you are trying to do it?

Email and UserName are two completely different attributes within Active Directory.  By common practice they are often made the same, but there is nothing to prevent an account to have a username of 'MyName' with an email of 'whocares@domain.com.  So maybe if we understand what you are trying to do, we can provide more assistance.

Current our new UCS Director is integrate with MS Active Directory, and all the account is imported. I'm looking at how can I only import accounts that have a valid email address only.

So you allow everyone within Active Directory to log into UCS Central?  That's interesting.

Extract a list of users with email addresses from Active Directory by issuing a command something like this:

$users = get-aduser -filter * -properties Name, EmailAddress |where {$_.Enabled -eq "True" -and $_.EmailAddress -ne $null}

Then iterate through the list of users returned to the array $users to add them to UCS Directory.

We are using the UCS Director for VM request. Is there any why to define in UCS Director to import those account with valid email address. Example xxxx@123.com.

I must not be understanding your request.  Earlier you asked "how can I only import accounts that have a valid email address only" and I provided a sample query of Active Directory to return only accounts with an email address.  Now you seem to be asking the same thing.  Are you looking for a specific UCSD workflow that imports the contents of a file or array that contains the accounts selected?

How do you want to make sure the e-mail address is valid?  Test it via test e-mail? Or just the pure existence of characters in the filed? Would this be a valid e-mail address in your example: A@b.com?

Very valid question about what constitutes a valid email address.  Not enough information has been provided by the original poster to answer that question.  If the environment has Exchange installed, Exchange stores its email addresses in Active Directory, so the user's Exchange email address could be extracted.  Hopefully they have things in place to ensure they are properly populating Exchange with valid Exchange e-mail addresses.  Similar procedures can be implemented for other e-mail packages.  But without further information about what the original poster means by 'valid email address', we can only guess.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Cisco UCS X-Series Energy Efficiency Offer