Views
Helpful
Replies

How to use REST API for Discovery

Nathan Sowatskey
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi

There are a number of REST APIs for Discovery that take an {id}.

There does not appear to be an API, for example a GET for /discovery, that returns the configured Discoveries such that one could programatically extract a Discovery ID to use in the APIs that take that ID as an argument.

Further, even if one were to guess that the Discovery ID were the name of the Discovery as created in the UI (and I do not know if this is the case), there does not appear to be an API that would allow one to use that Discovery ID to start the Discovery.

Specifically, then, having configured a Discovery via the UI, it is not clear how, using the APIs, one would be able to invoke it.

Regards

Nathan

4 Replies 4

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you use the /reachability-info (under the Network Discovery tree in swagger) API, you'll get back a list of discovery IDs (integers, really).  You can then feed those into the inventory/discovery.  For example:

{

"discoveryId": "1",

"mgmtIp": "192.168.1.46",

"reachabilityStatus": "UNREACHABLE",

"reachabilityFailureReason": "SNMP Timeout",

"discoveryStartTime": "2016-07-07 20:16:35.772"

},

Then I feed "1" into "GET /api/v1/discovery/1" and I get:

{

"response": {

"name": "MarcusCom",

"discoveryType": "CDP",

"ipAddressList": "192.168.1.36",

"cdpLevel": 16,

"deviceIds": "36d7d3d5-19c8-47fc-bc55-31fd14ad694a,fc422371-9e65-4e08-8e7c-5f57d3e63ade,1153fb76-06dd-4c61-9aa6-739e3d4ab80f",

"userNameList": "jclarke",

"passwordList": "",

"ipFilterList": "",

"snmpRoCommunity": "",

"snmpRwCommunity": "",

"protocolOrder": "ssh",

"discoveryCondition": "Complete",

"discoveryStatus": "Inactive",

"timeOut": 5,

"numDevices": 3,

"retryCount": 3,

"isAutoCdp": true,

"id": "1"

},

"version": "1.0"

}

Joe

Thank you for this. This was an important piece of the puzzle. What I have done is use the network monitor developer tool to see what the UI was doing.

What I specifically want to do, via the API, is:

1. - Trigger a discovery
  2. - Show that a number of devices have been discovered
  3. - Show the devices in inventory
  4. - Delete one of the devices
  5. - Show that the deleted device is not in inventory
  6. - Trigger a discovery
  7. - Show that a number of devices have been discovered
  8. - Show the devices in inventory

The tricky part is 1 and 6. What the UI does is use the PUT /discovery with a JSON body setting the status to "active". The JSON body also contains the ID you explained above.

The above works in a sense, but does not do what I think the system should allow me to do. The specific issue with the API is that the initial request for /reachability-info does return IDs, but without any means to relate the ID to a discovery of a given title.

So, I know I have a specific discovery that I want to set to active. I can do that with the POST /discovery. That POST needs a discovery ID. I can get discovery IDs, in general, with the GET /reachability-info. What I can't see how to do is map from the discovery IDs that I can GET from /reachability-info to the specific discovery I want, apart from trying every ID that I get in the first request and looking for the specific title I need with the second request.

Am I missing something please?

Many thanks

Nathan

Hi Nathan,

I have the same situation and got stuck right now. Did you come up with any solution?

Thanks

Can

Nathan Sowatskey
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The solution here is to use an undocumented API as illustrated in the code below. Once you have the ID for the name, then the other APIs can be used as advertised.

base_url = "https://apic-em:443/api/v1/"

discovery_url = base_url + 'discovery/'

verify = False

headers = {'x-auth-token': get_token(),'content-type': "application/json"}

result = requests.get(url=discovery_url, headers=headers, verify=verify)

result.raise_for_status()

for item in result.json()['response']:

if item['name'] == discovery_name:

discovery_id = item['id']

print("ID of discovery is " + str(discovery_id) + ".\n")

def get_token():

ticket_url = base_url + 'ticket'

payload = {'username': username, 'password': password}

headers = {'content-type': "application/json"}

response = requests.post(url=ticket_url, data=json.dumps(payload), headers=headers, verify=verify)

token = response.json()['response']['serviceTicket']

return token

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

This community is intended for developer topics around Data Center technology and products. If you are looking for a non-developer topic about Data Center, you might find additional information in the Data Center and Cloud community