cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Issue adding VLAN's to updating templates

vsegafredo
Level 1
Level 1

Been a UCS customer for 5 years.  Here's my problem.

We initially got deployed by CDW for VMware and the person didn't create a template as you know it, just a service profile with updating components.  Then we clone off of that SP.  When I add new VLAN's to our updating VNIC templates we have no issue.  All the SP's are unbound from the one they get initially cloned from.

I've since created (per Cisco tech recommendations) updating templates for some native Oracle, Hyper-V and Windows blades.

Same basic configuration but the SP's are bound to the updating templates.  Whenever I attempt to add a VLAN to the VNIC template I end up with a pending reboot.  Various versions of the UCS infrastructure have corrected this, but then it seems to happen again. 

My real question (and thought process is) I want to unbind the service profiles from these templates and will this cause a reboot?

TIA,

Vince

1 Reply 1

jasonsha
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Vince,

As you mentioned, modifying VLANs on a vNIC template should not require a reboot of the servers using that template.

- I would recommend opening a TAC case to investigate this.

To your second question, unbinding a Service Profile from a Service Profile Template should not require a reboot.

- If you rebind back to a Service Profile Template at a later time, this may require a reboot (if the Service Profile configuration does not match the Service Profile Template).

Hope this helps,

Jason

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card