cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

APIC-EM - Advanced Use-Cases

rays
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, I am starting to look at APIC-EM and so far finding it very useful. I am wondering of other possibilities for our customers besides the integrated apps.

For example, has anyone integrated APIC-EM with Service Desk application and automated any functions? (I realise this would be dependent on the Service Desk app supporting API but if we can assume it does...)

Is there a way we could automatically have a Service Desk application that uses API, to call the APIC-EM and pull information for a Cisco TAC case? I.e get the user details and discover which switch/port they are connected to, then get show tech-support (is there an API for this?). Then do a path trace between endpoints? Populate this in the Service Desk ticket.. etc..

I have seen a demo with something similar where the APIC-EM and Cisco SPARK are integrated and you can create a virtual SPARK room and automatically invite all relevant parties to the room to share information..

I can see how the built in apps such as Easy QOS, iWAN and PNP will make life easier but just wondering if there are other use-cases we can explore.

Any ideas or pointers to documentation would be great.

Thanks

Rays

3 Replies 3

yawming
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I moved you post here for more APIC-EM viewers

aradford
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Great Question Rays,

I have not explicitly written integration into SM app, which one are you looking at BTW?

I have written a bunch of examples of using APIC-EM API to get useful information from the network.

I have a blog series that goes through some simple examples.  There are 5 blogs in total, #1 is the link below.

Five APIC-EM API to improve network engineer productivity – part 1

I am just about to post #5 which will be path trace.

What language are you looking to write this in?

Adam

Hi Adam, first of all thanks for the link to your blog, looks really good! TBH I am pretty new to the APIC-EM and scripting in general having come from a traditional Cisco/Network background so not 100% sure which language we would use to script this, python maybe?

My own company use Autotask for our service tickets. I have checked and there are APIs available so I am guessing some sort of automation will be possible between APIC-EM and Autotask.

My company are a Cisco partner and what I am really attempting to do is come up with some real value propositions that will drive the deployment for the APIC-EM for our customers. The built in apps are a great start but I suspect it is the integration with other business apps that will drive the most demand and innovation. The problem I have is understanding the capabilities and where to start!

Any suggestions would be welcome. In the meantime I will read through your blog and get up to speed with the basics. I have setup APIC-EM internally and I can manage our own infrastructure and a few LAB CSRs for iWAN. Really impressed with it so far :-)

Thanks

Ray

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

This community is intended for developer topics around Data Center technology and products. If you are looking for a non-developer topic about Data Center, you might find additional information in the Data Center and Cloud community