Views
Helpful
Replies

WebEx API Encoding

learnuponlms
Level 1
Level 1

Howdy,

Are there any known issues with UTF-8 encoding with the WebEx API?

Problem 1: Retrieving a list of Training Center sessions which include unicode characters or accented characters (e.g. á) is incorrectly returned as ISO-8859-1. Even if I set the Accept-Charset header in the request. The HTTP response header and the XML document declaration are both set to ISO-8859-1.  https://developer.cisco.com/media/webex-xml-api/22CharacterEncodinginRequestandResponseMessages.html says UTF-8 should be the default, but I'm not seeing that anywhere.

Problem 2: Creating a session with a <confName> value that includes a unicode, or accented character results in an error

<serv:reason>validation: Parsing Error : The element type "serv:message" must be terminated by the matching end-tag "&lt;/serv:message&gt;".

Line : 1

Column : 734

</serv:reason>

Again, trying various ways to convince the API with the Content-Type request header and the XML doc declaration both referencing UTF-8. Escaping with HTML entity name or XML entity number references, or wrapping in <![CDATA[...]]> all make no difference.

I'm using the apidemoeu sandbox, but the only similar issue I could find on these forums is Re: Choosing a Subset of Records

Anyone got any hints on what I can try next? Have tried Ruby and CURL. Happy to provide more specifics or sample XML. Everything works just fine until I add a 'á' to the conf name!

Thanks for any tips you may have!

3 Replies 3

ryanhunt
Level 5
Level 5

are you using the xml declaration like this: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

Hi Ryan,

For problem 2 (creating session), yes, I've tried that (exact) declaration, to no avail.

Thanks!

mifierro
Level 4
Level 4

Greetings! Having your sample XML requests will help a lot in this instance.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: