cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how I am supposed to connect the new device to existing system if we want to deploy the new equipment in the LAN using PnP via DHCP

Guangming_Li
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

I am new to APIC-EM PnP, but I want to deploy APIC-EM in our environment.

It makes sense to deploy new device for remote site via mobile app, but how I am supposed to connect the new device to existing system if we want to deploy the new equipment in the LAN using DHCP? I have to connect the new device to access port or routed port on existing switch?

I can put the DHCP server in vlan 1 as Solution Guide for Cisco Network Plug and suggest, but according to instruction below It seems I have to reconfigure our core switch and change the port from trunk to routed port so it can support PnP deployment for new device which is going to be up-linked to that port. It will be disaster to change all ports on core switch to routed port and configure sub-interface for each of them. Am I wrong here? Any other suggestion? 

Cisco Router Trunk/Access Port Configuration—Typical branch networks include routers and switches. One or more

switches are connected to the WAN router and other endpoints like IP phones and access points connect to the

1. switches. When a switch connects to an upstream router, the following deployment models are supported for Cisco

Network Plug and Play:

Downstream switch is connected to the router using a switched port on the router. In this type of connection,

the switched port on the router must be configured as an access port. The Cisco Network Plug and Play solution

does not work for the switch if the switched port on the router is configured as a trunk port.

Downstream switch is connected to the router using a routed port on the router. In this case, the routed port can

support multiple VLANs using sub-interfaces. During the Plug and Play process the switch would automatically

configure its port as a trunk port. In a large branch scenario, it becomes necessary to carry multiple VLANs

between the router and the downstream switch. To support this use case, the switch must be connected to a

routed port.

Cheers,

Bright

4 Replies 4

aradford
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

hi,

you do not need the upstream switch to be a routed port.  If VLAN 1 is enabled the switch should use that to get an IP address and start PnP.

If you want to use a vlan other than vlan 1, you would need to use the "pnp startup-vlan xx" command on the core switch.

Adam

Thanks Adam.

in that case, you mean I just need to put core switch interface to access port in vlan 1 and connect new switch to that port? or trunk port is ok as long as native vlan is vlan 1?

Cheers,

Bright

correct.  You can use a trunk port as well as long as native vlan is 1 (you need CDP to pass through correctly)

Thank you Adam!

Sent from my iPhone