cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE PSN Reboot Questions

Marc Poretti
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

My CU (100K Base Licenses) has a number of PSNs (16) distributed between two geographically dispersed data centres.  They are front ending them with Loadbalancers. Since their upgrade to ISE 2.1 they have experienced some of their PSNs going into an inconsistent state which shows up as either a slow login for their users or being thrown into Internet only. A simple reboot of the PSN appears to correct everything.

The customer is asking the following questions:

• Should they be rebooting the PSN on a regular schedule?
    • Their thoughts were to do 1/3 of the PSN every month so each quarter each PSN would be rebooted at least once.
  • Is there a best practice around rebooting PSN?
    • Or should I steer them towards restarting the service
  • Are we seeing this in other accounts?
  • Regardless if this is recommended or not… is there a way to automate the reboot of the PSN?
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Timothy Abbott
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Marc,

This is not expected behavior.  I recommend the customer open up a TAC case so that the deployment can be examined to determine why a reboot is necessary.

Regards,

-Tim

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Timothy Abbott
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Marc,

This is not expected behavior.  I recommend the customer open up a TAC case so that the deployment can be examined to determine why a reboot is necessary.

Regards,

-Tim

Thanks Tim,

I anticipated your response. thanks for confirming.

On a side (but similar) note, are you aware of any way to automate the reboot of the PSN? Just wondering...

Thanks again Tim.

Regards,

Marc

Marc,

The only thing I can think of is to write a script that would SSH to the PSN issue one or more of the following commands:

To reboot the entire server:

reload

yes

yes

To restart the application server:

application stop ise

application start ise

Regards,

-Tim

Perfect! Thanks Tim.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: