Views
Helpful
Replies

IWAN Hub Site tunnel IP overlapping

vishal-patil
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've been trying to deploy IWAN in a lab environment and I successfully deployed the hub site except one thing

Apparently, while assigning IP address to Tunnel int47233 (Hub1), it tries to assign 192.168.2.1/30. My Hub LAN ip address is 192.168.2.1/24 and because of this, tunnel IP is overlapping with my HUB1 LAN IP.  It successfully deployed with tunnel int 47233 IP unassigned and hence the tunnel is down

Please advise. Let me know if you need more details

Regards,

Vish

5 Replies 5

cchitnis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Tunnel47233 is created programatically for AR workaround and hence the IP for the same is reserved programatically from 192.168.2 network. I'd suggest excluding 192.168.2 network from your own IP assignments to avoid conflict.

I could not find the documentation where this was mentioned. Do you know any cisco documentation has reference of this AR workaround?

Thanks,

Vish

I don't believe we have documented this anywhere since AR workaround itself is inetrnal functionality, specific to iWAN workflow. Sincere apologies on documentation gap and I'll see what I can do in the best of my capacity here.

The purpose is to function in situations of Asymmetric Routing (AR) by creating GRE tunnels (hard coded as Tunnel47233, similar to hardcoded Loopback47233 for iWAN across all workflows) between hub devices.

Having said that, we have validation procedures in place to detect things like Loopback47233 and flag them back to user as must-fix errors/warnings since we will be provisioning them anyway and don't want any conflicts with our provisioning. Unfortunately, detection of Tunnel47233 and use of subnet 192.168.2 (which will be used for IP assignments on AR Workaround tunnels) are not part of these validations either. May be in the interim we can think of adding them from engineering as a quick-fix. I say interim because -

1. There's already a feature request to remove hard coding of IP subnet to be used for AR Workaround tunnels. We may provide this IP assignment as user input from IP Address Pool creation page and use the IPs from this pool appropriately. As of now, I'm not sure of the priority of this request to definitely say which release it will make it to.

2. In subsequent release (not the immediately upcoming one) AR Workaround as a solution itself will go away and alternate method to work with Asymmetric Routing might be in place. This is in works in longer terms.

In summary,

1. We should have documented this better. Let me check what we can do from engineering side for it.

2. Add validations for detecting presence of Tunnel47233 and usage of IP addresses from 192.168.2 subnet on other interfaces of the device. This might be doable for upcoming release but again, as an engineer I can't speak for marketing when it will come to feature request prioritization.

There's a tab called "I wish this page could have..." in APIC-EM. May be you can provide your input/feedback through it.

For now to work with your existing deployment, I'd suggest removing 192.168.2 network from your own IP assignments and work with another subnet. I'm not sure how difficult that would be but this is where we stand with AR as of now.

Thank you for the detailed explanation. I really appreciate it. I think, giving user an option of defining the IP in IP Address Pool tab would be a better idea than the validation later on.

Thanks,

Vishal

Chakrapani,

This still seems to be an issue in IWANAPP 1.5.x, and I still don't see any documentation on this. When can we expect a way to work around this for users that can't re-assign their 192.168.2.x addresses?