cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 4331 router, FXO NIM, and detecting DTMF via TCL

mikecooley
Level 1
Level 1

I have been using a Cisco 2901 router with FXO cards and a TCL script to detect DTMF digits for a while now.    Since the EOL has been set for these routers, I decided to try the replacement router (the 4331) with NIM cards.    However, I'm having some issues detecting DTMF digits with the new router setup.

Situation:

We register SIP extensions to the router using CME.   These SIP extensions then solely route calls to / from the FXO ports.  IE - no sip to sip call or FXO to FXO calls.    We only detect DTMF digits on the SIP side of the call (we don't care about any DTMF digits detected on the FXO physical port).   This all worked great on the 2901 router.

Problem:

On the 4331 router, all the SIP configurations work, we can place inbound and outbound calls, but the TCL script will not detect DTMF digits on the SIP side of the call.    I have "puts" statements in the script, so I know it's actually running correctly, and I get the DTMF timeout T.    If I switch the script to setup DTMF detection on the opposite part of the leg (detect on the FXO port), it detects the DTMF properly.     I've sent the DTMF on the SIP side as RFC2833 and as in-band tones (neither gets detected).    I believe the router is correctly interpreting the RFC2833 events, as the DTMF digits are getting converted and sent out the FXO port properly.

Is there something the new router requires to setup DTMF detection on the voip leg?   There is a PVDM4-32 module on the motherboard of the router.

Thank you for any guidance / suggestions.

8 Replies 8

yawming
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Can you please share your dialpeer config ?

DIalpeer may need to be configured differently.

A sample dialpeer follows:

dial-peer voice 2 pots

corlist outgoing port2

destination-pattern .

port 0/1/2

My service is defined in:

application

service dtmf bootflash:dtmf.tcl

global

service default dtmf

Thanks,

Mike

Your SIP dialpeer config ?

Raghavendra G V
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please check the bug (CSCux85683) .

Thanks,

Raghavendra

I'm not sure that this bug applies to me.   It seems this bug is stating that DTMF will not pass at all from the voip side if the call is originated on the voip side.    In my scenario, DTMF will pass from the voip side to the FXO port (which implies the router is detecting the RFC2833 packets and converting them to inband DTMF properly), it just will not report it to my service via the ev_digit_end event.

Thanks,

Mike

Which IOS version you are using, I believe you might be hitting bug (CSCux85683, CSCuw06084) which are raised for ISR G3 routers. As in these cases router detects DTMF but does not pass to TCL script.Please check with fixed releases.

Thanks,
Raghavendra

Thank you for the response.  I've been working on getting SmartNet on this router, but it's taking longer than expected on our end.  Thought I would go ahead and respond now, and I'll respond again when I get the new firmware and test it.

Thanks,

Mike

I have been unable to continue with this testing.    When I installed the new firmware, my third party SIP registrations quit working.    I'll be opening another forum discussion on the registration topic to see if anyone has resolved that issue.   Thank you for all your assistance.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: