Views
Helpful
Replies

Hybrid style supported by Iox?

Zi Wei Fan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi experts,

I just have learned several types of apps could be supported by Iox, such as Paas, container, docker, VM..And the types should be decided in step1 of developing.

However, my question is: could more than one types (hybrid) be used in the app and supported by Iox?

Thanks very much!

Ziwei

4 Replies 4

chandven
Level 4
Level 4

Ziwei,  Can you define what an hybrid app is?  Are you referring to hybrid style mobile apps?

Thanks

Chandra

Hi Chandra,

thanks for quick reply. Sorry for my unclear explanation. Let me clarify here.

I think several apps may be hosted by IOx on 829/IE4K.

Could these apps be in different type? Some are in docker type, and one or more than one are in container type, but could the apps with different type be hosted by IOx on one 829/IE4K meanwhile?

Or some misunderstanding with the type here...Thanks Chandra for explanation.

Ziwei

Hi Ziwei

IOx supports different app types and the developer can choose to use any of them depending on requirements. For ex, if you need to bring in some customised kernel, you would choose VM style, if you are writing an app using a language runtime supported by IOx, your would use PaaS. If you need more flexibility and have more dependencies on libs/bins but don't need a separate kernel, you would choose lxc or docker. This is a generic IOx capability.

However, what is available on a platform depends on the architecture and resource constraints of the platform. For ex, 829 supports PaaS, lxc and docker style apps, but cannot run VM style. IE4k currently only supports lxc style apps etc, these details are clearly documented in platform support matrix section on devnet portal.

Also, IOx can run different apptypes at the same time on a platform provided:

- the platform supports those app types

- there are enough resources available to run the apps.

For ex. You can run a PaaS app using c1.tiny and a docker app using c1.medium resource profiles simultaneously on 829.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Harish

Greatly appreciate Harish! Got it.

I will learn the detail according to the guide you mentioned.. Thanks again!

Ziwei

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: