cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

APIC not discovering hosts in campus environment

Kevin Mckenzie
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

After performing a discovery on my network, I noticed that a significant quantity of my hosts were missing from the host inventory.  I decided to do a discover on a small portion of my network and received the following:

Unknown.jpeg

As you can see the discovery is finding many hosts, however they are NOT showing up in the host inventory.   I should note that currently ip device tracking is turned off due to an issue experienced windows hosts several years ago.  It appears that APIC-EM is able to find them durning discovery and is not adding them to the inventory.

12 Replies 12

ngoldwat
Level 4
Level 4

Your screen shot indicates that the devices are failing SNMP.  Do you have SNMP running?  ACLs?

Nicholas

i am attempting to discover the end-hosts not switches/routers so snmp would naturally fail for them.  It sounds like IP device tracking is required for apic-em. 

Everyone

In this white paper it indicates the IP device tracking is turned on by default during discovery.    http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/cloud-systems-management/application-policy-infrastructure-controller-enterprise-mo…

In this case my assumption this has failed on many of my switches due to an ios version issue.  Are there any other reasons why this would fail?  Any suggestions for working around this?  Could I manually enable ip device-tracking?  An iOS upgrade to my environment would be an act of congress.

• IP Device Tracking (IPDT)IPDT is enabled automatically for all devices by the controller. For this configuration, privileges must be given to the controller during discovery.

I remembered that somewhere I read a while ago - SNMP traps can be used for wireless host discovery. Can some one please confirm this ?

Correct. Good point are we talking wired or wireless here?

The issue I was attempting to solve was for wired hosts.  I havent tested yet but I believe IP device tracking is my missing piece.  I will report back once I am able to test. 

That would be the issue.  You need IP device tracking for wired hosts.

There are also some traps that are used from switches to get quick updates when link status changes.

See documentation for details:

Cisco Application Policy Infrastructure Controller Enterprise Module Configuration Guide, Release 1.3.x - Device Config…

SNMP Trap Configuration

To ensure that Cisco APIC-EM captures data about the hosts connected to your network devices, you must set up SNMP traps or notifications. Enter the following SNMP commands to set up SNMP traps on the devices that connect to hosts within your network:

1. snmp-server enable traps snmp linkdown linkup
  2. snmp-server host IP address version 2c public
Note
For Cisco Nexus devices, enter the following SNMP commands instead of the commands listed above:
  1. snmp-server enable traps snmp linkdown linkup
  2. snmp-server host IP address use-vrf default

After configuring SNMP traps on the network devices, the following data is captured and made available in the controller's GUI:

• Host data including the MAC address, IP address, and type
  • Device interface status

Hello Sir,

Device discovery is finding many hosts, however they are NOT showing up in the host inventory for wired host.

I am having question , How to enable IP tracking .

Pl guide.

You can do it from the controller,

admin->settings -> device controllability -> IPDT Autoconfig

or from the CLI

IP Device Tracking (IPDT) Overview - Cisco

Not by default anymore.

In 1.3 there is a beta feature to do this.

yawming
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Discovery discover network devices.

Thanks for the visual definitions

IP Device Tracking is required for host discovery.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

This community is intended for developer topics around Data Center technology and products. If you are looking for a non-developer topic about Data Center, you might find additional information in the Data Center and Cloud community