Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UCSD REST XML vs JSON

Hello,

I noticed that some REST actions can be performed via JSON calls, and some via XML. The REST API Browser is a collection of XML calls, and I found that there is only a limited number of JSON methods comparing to XML. Since JSON is easier to call and parse using python, I was wondering if 1) there is any more advanced (hidden) doc for JSON calls, 2) there is a possibility to somehow translate XML to JSON calls, 3) there would be some consistency maintained in future releases of UCSD API (JSON=XML).

Cheers,

Krzysztof

1 Reply 1

snoopj123
Level 4
Level 4

Not exactly sure, but I know what you are experiencing.  It's annoying to have to keep custom JSON and XML parsers available in your favorite REST API calling language (in my case, PowerShell).  I, too, would like to see some consistency, but I'm pretty sure what we are seeing is anything XML related was created long ago and never bothered to be updated, while JSON related returns are relatively newer in the product's lifetime.

I also see that with the Body of the API calls too.  Some take full example examples while others take JSON in the body of the REST API URI.

More consistency please!

--j

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Cisco UCS X-Series Energy Efficiency Offer