cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Setting Tracking Codes for users via XML API

mshadbol
Level 1
Level 1

I need to employ Tracking Codes on my site. Tracking Code Group 1 is known by default as "Division". It's my intent to rename this to "Country Code", and use the indexes within the Group to list country codes, using the ISO Alpha-2 standard (e.g. US = United States).

I understand that I need to set this up via the Site Admin portal.

But I'm having trouble finding the right XML code to set the Tracking Code values for my CreateUser and SetUser APIs.

What would the XML code look like to apply a value from Tracking Code Group 1 ("Country Code") to my CreateUser and SetUser APIs?

Many thanks in advance,

-Martin

3 Replies 3

ryanhunt
Level 5
Level 5

I believe Tracking Codes are Meeting Specific, not user specific.. they would be specified on CreateMeeting/SetMeeting as its not part of the UserService.

Thanks for the response Ryan. How do we confirm this?

I note in the User.xsd schema file there is reference to a "trackingType", and also "orderByType" which looks to have elements/fields that match some of the Tracking Code Group Name defaults (like Division, Department, Project, etc).

Unfortunately I'm a Solutions Architect and not a Developer, so I'm not able to make sense of the schema.

We only use APIs to manage Users, not Meetings. Is there a way to automatically apply a Tracking code to every meeting hosted by a given user?  We don't want it to be something that the user specifies themselves (because they'll forget or do it wrong), but we need to use these Tracking Codes so that we can conduct certain billing activities.

Thanks again,

Martin,

We are doing the same, applying tracking codes to users. The XML was a bit tricky for us to implement, but here's how I ended up structuring it.

As part of the user.CreateUser or user.SetUser endpoints, include something like this:

<tracking>
  <trackingCode1>Code Value</trackingCode1>
  <trackingCode2>Code Value</trackingCode2>
</tracking>

You indicated that you already understand how the codes work in the admin panel, so I won't go into that.

There was a "gotcha" that we ran into, and I'm trying to recall it properly. Don't quote me on this, but I *believe* that... if used, the <tracking> tag contents will override all of the user's tracking codes.  So if you simply wanted to add <trackingCode3> to the above example, you'd also have to give it <trackingCode1> and <trackingCode2> or else the user would get ONLY <trackingCode3>, and lose the values for 1 and 2. I *think* that's how it works.

Does that help?

-- Matt