cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AXL: Update Device Profile Line Appearance

jeremy11
Level 1
Level 1

I'm attempting to update the line appearance for a device profile's line via AXL. Whenever I submit the query, all the line data reverts back to default data and/or clears all information... For instance, the display, ascii display, line text label, ascii line text label, external phone number mask, max # of calls, and busy trigger all switch back to a blank value. Could someone look over this request and explain why this may be happening? I'm not an expert in AXL and I have looked at other threads but haven't found a solution that works for me... Here is my AXL request with numbers and credentials redacted...

<soapenv:Envelope xmlns:soapenv="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/" xmlns:ns="http://www.cisco.com/AXL/API/9.1">

<soapenv:Header/>

<soapenv:Body>

<ns:updatePhone sequence="?">

<name>DeviceProfileName</name>

<lines>

<lineIdentifier>

<directoryNumber>####</directoryNumber>

<routePartitionName>IO</routePartitionName>

<maxNumCalls>2</maxNumCalls>

<busyTrigger>1</busyTrigger>

<e164mask>##########</e164mask>

<index>1</index>

<label>LabelText</label>

<asciiLabel>LabelText</asciiLabel>

<display>DisplayText</display>

<ringSetting>Ring</ringSetting>

<consecutiveRingSetting>Use System Default</consecutiveRingSetting>

<displayAscii>DisplayText</displayAscii>

<mwlPolicy>Use System Policy</mwlPolicy>

<callInfoDisplay>

<callerName>true</callerName>

<callerNumber>false</callerNumber>

<redirectedNumber>false</redirectedNumber>

<dialedNumber>true</dialedNumber>

</callInfoDisplay>

<recordingFlag>Call Recording Disabled</recordingFlag>

<audibleMwi>Default</audibleMwi>

<partitionUsage>General</partitionUsage>

<missedCallLogging>true</missedCallLogging>

</lineIdentifier>

</lines>

</ns:updatePhone>

</soapenv:Body>

</soapenv:Envelope>

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

dstaudt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

When using <updatePhone> with the <lines> collection, during the operation CUCM first removes all line appearances from the device, then re-creates line appearances as specified in the new <lines>.

It's important to make the distinction that the fields you are referring to - such as <display> - belong to the 'line appearance' on that particular device, rather than to the line itself (which may appear on multiple devices as a shared line.)  If you look at the phone and then click on the line in CUCM admin, the sections ending with " on Device {MyDevice}" pertain to the line appearance (vs. the base line.)

If you use <updatePhone> with <lines><lineIdentifier>, then CUCM first removes all the previous line appearances (including any line-appearance-specific info like the display text), then re-adds the new line as a new line appearance.  The problem of course is that <lineIdentifier> does not permit definition of all the line-appearance specific fields (like <display>), and so those are all going to be blank.  Note, you example request includes a bunch of fields (like <display>) that aren't actually part of the schema for <lineIdentifier>: https://developer.cisco.com/media/axl-schema-11-5/Files/AXLSoap_UpdatePhoneReq.html#Link5371)

To accomplish your goal, you will want to use <updatePhone><lines><line>, which does allow you to specify all the line-appearance-specific data in the request:

<soapenv:Envelope xmlns:soapenv="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/" xmlns:ns="http://www.cisco.com/AXL/API/10.5">

<ns:updatePhone>

<name>CSFDSTAUDT</name>

<lines>

<line>

<index>1</index>

<dirn>

<pattern>1001</pattern>

<routePartitionName/>

</dirn>

<display>testDisplay</display>

</line>

</lines>

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

dstaudt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

When using <updatePhone> with the <lines> collection, during the operation CUCM first removes all line appearances from the device, then re-creates line appearances as specified in the new <lines>.

It's important to make the distinction that the fields you are referring to - such as <display> - belong to the 'line appearance' on that particular device, rather than to the line itself (which may appear on multiple devices as a shared line.)  If you look at the phone and then click on the line in CUCM admin, the sections ending with " on Device {MyDevice}" pertain to the line appearance (vs. the base line.)

If you use <updatePhone> with <lines><lineIdentifier>, then CUCM first removes all the previous line appearances (including any line-appearance-specific info like the display text), then re-adds the new line as a new line appearance.  The problem of course is that <lineIdentifier> does not permit definition of all the line-appearance specific fields (like <display>), and so those are all going to be blank.  Note, you example request includes a bunch of fields (like <display>) that aren't actually part of the schema for <lineIdentifier>: https://developer.cisco.com/media/axl-schema-11-5/Files/AXLSoap_UpdatePhoneReq.html#Link5371)

To accomplish your goal, you will want to use <updatePhone><lines><line>, which does allow you to specify all the line-appearance-specific data in the request:

<soapenv:Envelope xmlns:soapenv="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/" xmlns:ns="http://www.cisco.com/AXL/API/10.5">

<ns:updatePhone>

<name>CSFDSTAUDT</name>

<lines>

<line>

<index>1</index>

<dirn>

<pattern>1001</pattern>

<routePartitionName/>

</dirn>

<display>testDisplay</display>

</line>

</lines>

Thank you so much for your very clear and precise answer. Much appreciated!

derek.fraser
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the tips jeremy and dstaut!  When utilizing the updateDeviceProfile schema element I'm able to update line specific elements like e164Mask but am seeing the AXL API remove all other lines on the profile.  For example if a User Device Profile has Line1:1001, Line2:1002 and Line3:1003 the below request updates the external phone mask for 1001, but then removes 1002 and 1003.

<soap-env:Envelope xmlns:soap-env="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/">
  <soap-env:Body>
    <ns0:updateDeviceProfile xmlns:ns0="http://www.cisco.com/AXL/API/11.5">
      <name>UDP-1001</name>
      <lines>
        <line>
          <index>1</index>
          <dirn>
            <pattern>1001</pattern>
            <routePartitionName>Internal-PT</routePartitionName>
          </dirn>
          <e164Mask>8885551001</e164Mask>
        </line>
      </lines>
    </ns0:updateDeviceProfile>
  </soap-env:Body>
</soap-env:Envelope>

dstaut pointed out that CUCM will first remove all previous line appearances, then re-adds the new line as a new line appearance.  Am I not understanding the updateDeviceProfile or updatePhone API correctly?  I thought updateDeviceProfile would update whereas addDeviceProfile would overwrite?  Is there a way to update a unique element?  The use case being updating the external phone mask on UDP's that could potentially have more than one line?

addDeviceProfile|Phone can only be used if the device does not yet exist (add a new device).  updateDeviceProfile|Phone are used to update an existing device/phone.  Using one of updateDeviceProfile|Phone, the <lines> collection will be replaced with whatever you submit - typically this means for an update you will want to retrieve the existing settings via getDeviceProfile|Phone so you can submit the complete list to update.

Many AXL update requests work the same way, though a select number also include <addXXX> and <removeXXX> elements which can be used instead of the <XXX> collection.  I.e. with updateUserGroup you can specify individual members to add/remove using <addMembers> and/or <removeMembers>, or simply replace the entire list via <members>.  Unfortunately, updateDeviceProfile|Phone <lines> does not support this pattern.

thanks for the info dstaudt, very much appreciated.  I've adjusted to your recommendation and use the getDeviceProfile first and iterate through the lines for the dirn/pattern e164Mask to update, then feed the entire lines collection back via the updateDeviceProfile.  Is this the recommended approach for updating a single parameter on a line like e164Mask/maxNumCalls/busyTrigger?  The schema references the nillable fields and in my testing using updateDeviceProfile with just name and lines does not modify any other existing parameters, I guess my question is how would I know which fields the API removes/re-adds over leaving as-is?  Or is the general best practice for any updates first do a get and send every element back in the update?

In general you should find that omitting an element will keep the value as-is, providing a nil element will attempt to make it null/empty/default.  So in your case, you can probably just provide the <lines> collection specifying just the line/dirn identifier (as you mention) and provide only the elements you want changed on the target device(s).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: