Helpful
Replies

LoRaWAN interface on Cisco 809 router

theomarinescu
Level 1
Level 1

Hello guys,

I have the following:

• Cisco 809 router (IR809G-LTE-GA-K9), with IP Base, Data and Security licenses (permanent)
  • GPS antenna for the Cisco 809 (GPS-ACT-ANTM-SMA)
  • LoRaWAN interface module and its software (IXM-LPWA-800-16-K9 & SW-IXM-LPWA-K9)
  • GPS antenna for the LoRaWAN interface (ANT-GPS-OUT-TNC)
  • IoTFND device license (LIC-IOTFND-LORAW)

Following the document linked below, I succeeded in configuring the router so it leases a DHCP address to the LoRaWAN interface and the Virtual-LPWA interface goes up:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/access/800/829/software/configuration/guide/IR800config/VLPWA.html

However, I don't understand where I am supposed to get the Actility Thingpark LRR software that will act as the LoRa forwarder firmware and the crypto public key the document refers to:

>>>

IR809(config)#interface virtual-LPWA 1

IR809(config-if)#lpwa packet-forwarder public-key flash:lrr-1.4.24.pubkey

IR809(config-if)#lpwa packet-forwarder firmware flash:lrr-1.6.11-ciscoms_config.cpkg auto-install if-not-installed

<<<

Also, what is the IoTFND license for and where must it be applied ?

I successfuly updated the devices to the latest available software/firmware versions.

Any ideas ?

Thank you !

Edit: added some "show" commands:

>>>

IR809#show virtual-lpwa 1 modem info

Name : Virtual-LPWA 1

ModemImageVer : 1.0.06

BootloaderVer : 20160830_cisco

ModemAgentVer : 1.02

SerialNumber : FOZZZZZZZZZ

PID : IXM-LPWA-800-16-K9

UTCTime : 09:36:31.707 UTC Sun Feb 12 2017

IPv4Address : 192.168.1.1

IPv6Address : none

FPGAVersion : 48

TimeZone : EET

LocalTime : Sun Feb 12 11:36:31 EET 2017

ACT2 Authentication : PASS

IR809#

IR809#show virtual-lpwa 1 packet-forwarder info

PublicKeyStatus : Not Installed

FirmwareStatus : Not Installed

PartnerID : ----

IR809#

<<<

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

pgrosset
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Theodor,

To get the Thingpark LRR key and software from Cisco, it assumes you order a LoRaWAN Network Server access, i.e.

L-ACT-POC-3MO or other references.

IOT FND license applies to the management of the LoRaWAN interface through IOT Field Network Director.

Regards

Patrick

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

pgrosset
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Theodor,

To get the Thingpark LRR key and software from Cisco, it assumes you order a LoRaWAN Network Server access, i.e.

L-ACT-POC-3MO or other references.

IOT FND license applies to the management of the LoRaWAN interface through IOT Field Network Director.

Regards

Patrick

Hello Patrick,

Thank you for your answer !

So how would the LRR firmware and public key I would receive from Cisco be tied to a specific ThingPark account ?

How would ThingPark know with which account to associate with my specific LRRID ?

Hi Theodor,

The LRR firmware package is linked to Cisco LoRaWAN gateway model, while the public key signed this package.

Once you install the LRR package on your GW, there is one file to edit in order to indicate the Thingpark instance that got created for you (DNS name of the instance) as well as your RF plan, i.e. EU868, US915, SG920,...

Once the LRR package is installed on your LoRaWAN interface, you can see the LRR ID from

IR829#show virtual-lpwa 1 packet-forwarder info

PublicKeyStatus : Installed

FirmwareStatus : Installed

PacketFwdVersion : 1.8.23

LRRID : 68480df8

PartnerID : 0001

then, you register your GW from Thingpark Network Manager

Regards

Patrick

Hello Patrick,

Looking here (http://iotcentral.cisco.com/quote_form), I understand that getting L-ACT-LRR-GATE-T1 would be enough to:

• officially obtain the LRR software from Cisco and install it on the gateway
  • add the LRRID in ThingPark and be able to see our 5 sensors and their output for our PoC

Is this correct ?

We are using the Omni setup: one 809 and one IXM (with its 2 main & diversity antennas).

Thank you !

pascal.bourquin
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Theodor and Patrick,

I'm in the same case as Theodor : my recently bought "Cisco Wireless Gateway for LoRaWAN" doesn't

have a packet forwarder...

Where can I find a list of free (or not) packet forwarders for my Cisco gateway ?

thank you in advance for your answer.

Pascal.

Hi,

Packet Forwarder must come from the Network Server vendor. For IXM LoRaWAN, it means the Network Server vendor can support version 2 LoRaWAN GW, as there is no open source code for v2 GW.

Cisco partners with Actility but we have been working with Orbiwise and others

Regards

Patrick

Hi,

Thank you very much for your answer !

I acquire Cisco Lorawan gateway for an IoT project

with my students at Tours University in France.

Do you know some LoraWan Cisco Partners in France ?

Is there any SDK for developping our own simple packet forwarder ?

Regards,

Pascal

Pascal,

We have an IXM LoRaWAN SDK available from

https://communities.cisco.com/community/developer/internet-of-things/cisco-lorawan-v2-gateway

But as indicated, there is no open source code for v2 GW LoRa Forwarder, so unless you sign an agreement with Semtech to access their source code examples, you can't use what is available from Github

Not sure what you mean by LoRaWAN Cisco partners in France?

LoRaWAN Network Server is a Cisco part number that can be sold by our partners. For small scale, we are offering an On-Prem Enterprise Network Server that could be used for your project

Regards

Patrick

As of two days ago the SDK is no longer available from the communities.cisco.com site (Cisco LoRaWAN V2 Gateway)... If you follow the link you provide there is no way to download the SDK. If you are so kind please provide us a new link to download the latest SDK version. Thank you in advance

Hi Emiliano,

We are in the process to upload a new SDK release.

It may take a little bit of time

Regards

Patrick

Rakwireless offer problem-free Lora Gateway module RAK2245 Pi HAT Edition that is is the largest of the RAK2245 family, however it offers complete compatibility with the Raspberry Pi 40pin header. Thus it is a perfect solution for a DIY gateway using the Raspberry Pi at its core. This make for a quick to deploy LoRaWAN solution with low cost and stable performance.

A debt of gratitude is in order for tending to this point. I was searching for the data with respect to the equivalent. Continue sharing the information upsers, credit.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: