cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Call Studio app saving changes to original app copied

Daniel_Cope
Level 1
Level 1

I have an application that was developed in 8.5 CVP Studio. We resently upgraded to 10.5 and a request for a similar application by a different department was made. I Imported the application and renamed it as I usually do. After extensive modifications for the new projects requirements a different request came in that made me have to open the original application.

To my amazement the original application had all the modifications that had replaced the original code in the new application with a different name.

I was able to make controlled changes and verify that both applications are being updated as if they are one in the same despite being in different workspaces and having different names......

I am at a loss for what is causing this or how I can fix my original application.

Does anyone know what caused this? How to prevent it? And if my original application is recoverable?

6 Replies 6

janinegraves
Spotlight
Spotlight

Studio works differently than something like MS-Word. There is no 'Save AS'

Rename does 'NOT' make a copy of the app and give it a new name.

It just renames the original app, so now there's NO version of the app

with the previous name.

In Studio Navigator, you will have to *Copy/Paste *the app. Give the

Pasted Version a different name and work on that.

Similarly, 'Move' just moves the original app to a different location,

it doesn't make a copy in the new location.

I always try to make sure that the CVP Studio Machine C:\Cisco folder is backed up daily, using the customers standard backup software, keeping a number of different copies, e.g. 1 x day, 1 x week, 1 x month 1 x 6 months etc.

I have in the past, come to a customer site for an upgrade and the CVP Studio Machine was not backed up and many CVP Studio applications were lost.

I had to reverse engineer the scripts by reviewing the code on the VXML servers, luckily the applications were not complex, so this was straight forward.

This approach might help you, but if the applications are large or complex, it might not be practical.

have a look at the files generated by the application on the VXML server.

If you have a copy of the old application on a VXML server....

Gerry

We moved the workspaces to a network share so that back ups were easier and managed. Restoration this way would be an option. I also have an Original source code zip for the project. I will compare to the deployed files to insure nothing is missing.

Thank you,

In Studio, if you right-click on the project you're modifying and select Properties - and then select the top entry 'Resources' - it'll show you the actual location of the app you're modifying. Perhaps you 'think' your app is in one location, but perhaps it's really in another location?

Otherwise, that is definitely bizarre behavior.

Yes, the resource shows the other file location. The part that caught me is when I changed the name in the new project it did not change the name in the original project. but clearly I was modiying the same file.

So in resources the Path is diffent between projects but the Location is the same.

The part that is odd is the Original app does still exists with the original name in the other workspace.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: