cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

APIC-EM Reinstall

Robert J
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to reinstall APIC-EM as a VM. I had it working the first time in our lab environment. Someone shut it down and it stopped working so I decided to reinstall. In the fresh install I get the messages in the screenshot. Also the sudo password is not working, Thanks for any help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Huyen Duong
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I think I found the issue, the issue is my VM disk IO is not good enough. APIC-EM requires strict IO at about 200MBs.

If our disk IO is small, likely grapevine database cannot built. Once installing on SSD environment, it will be easy work.

Thanks

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

aradford
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Robert,

did you build a VM from the ISO mounted as a DVD drive? This looks like the configuration_wizard has not been run.

Exactly .iso file obtained from Cisco website. If i remember correctly, the first time the config wizard started automatically and I had to input IP address and etc..

Did you see that the second time too?

If you do a fresh install, you should see the config wizard again too.

Adam

That's exactly my problem I am not getting it the second time. I'm not sure if I have to delete some files that were installed when I first installed APIC-EM. I deleted the folder in the datastore but i keep getting to this prompt.

ok..  a couple of things.

If a controller is shutdown and needs to be restarted you can do a "reset_grapevine".  It you say "n" to the questions, the state of the controller will be retained.

If you do a complete reinstall, just delete the VM from disk and create a new one, making sure you mount the ISO as a DVD drive to being the complete install process again.

Adam

I did delete the VM and reinstalled several times and I always get this prompt.

Thanks for the help

are you sure you are mounting the ISO and installing from that? 

This looks a lot like an existing installation with the config file removed.

Yes. I even asked a more experienced colleague to install it but the same thing happens.Maybe it is the Grapevine on top of Ubuntu being installed in the same resource pool being the problem. I think I will try installing the VM on it;s own.

Hi Robert

Did you got it work??

Actually, I got same issue but this is for fresh install, I always get the WRIE SAME failed, then configure wizard does not run. It just go to command line mode.

I tried to delete and reinstall many times but no luck

Thanks

apic_em_issue.PNG

By the look of it, seems like the config script didn't execute properly. If you got an error message at some point like "script execution timeout - exceeded 60 seconds" (can't recall the exact message) it might be related to time/ntp settings

Huyen Duong
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Actually, I got the next traceback error and the config_wizard has never had a chance to run. I check CCO today and the image 1.4.1.x is totally gone, confused !

There was an issue with the 1.4.1 build and a dependancy for IWAN.

This is in the process of being reposted.

There are no functional changes, just a change to the dependancy mappings for services.

Adam

Huyen Duong
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I think I found the issue, the issue is my VM disk IO is not good enough. APIC-EM requires strict IO at about 200MBs.

If our disk IO is small, likely grapevine database cannot built. Once installing on SSD environment, it will be easy work.

Thanks

Yes, particularly if you have 32G RAM and <12vcpu.

SSD will make a massive difference

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

This community is intended for developer topics around Data Center technology and products. If you are looking for a non-developer topic about Data Center, you might find additional information in the Data Center and Cloud community