Views
Helpful
Replies

PnP - Editing provisioned device configuration

lemontree_61089
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have a simple question regarding the utilization of PnP with APIC-EM.

We are using it in our lab, I am able to connect a router to APIC-EM, that device gets its configuration and is in provisioned state. So all good.

However, it looks like I cannot make a change to the configuration file, or push a new config file to the provisioned device. The GUI doesn't let me edit the device and generates the message: "Some of the selected devices cannot be edited in their current state! ".

I wanted to confirm with you if this is the expected behaviour, and if there is a way to make a change to a provisioned device.

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

npassosg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Thomas,

That is correct -- that is the expected behaviour. PnP only allows to push configurations to unclaimed devices.

Once the devices are configured by PnP, the are considered to be provisioned, thus you cannot push any new configurations.

I believe there is a hack to work around this issue, which is to delete the device from the PnP app and have it call home again. When the device calls home again, it will be considered unclaimed again and you can push new configurations to the device.

However, as I mentioned before, this is considered a hack and not how the app is intended to be used.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Nuno

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

npassosg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Thomas,

That is correct -- that is the expected behaviour. PnP only allows to push configurations to unclaimed devices.

Once the devices are configured by PnP, the are considered to be provisioned, thus you cannot push any new configurations.

I believe there is a hack to work around this issue, which is to delete the device from the PnP app and have it call home again. When the device calls home again, it will be considered unclaimed again and you can push new configurations to the device.

However, as I mentioned before, this is considered a hack and not how the app is intended to be used.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Nuno