cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Third Party SIP Device CUCM - multiple devices

danjorda
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I understand that with third party sip devices cucm will only allow one device per digest credential.  Is there a timer in CUCM that will restrict another device from registering using the same credentials after a device goes offline?  So if I have 2 devices both using the same credentials and device 1 goes offline, is there a period of time where device 2 will not be able to register?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

dakeller
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Cisco UCM has a couple of defensive mechanisms that will help out here.  First off, UCM monitors for periodic refresh timers from registered endpoints.  If the device has not sent a refresh message, UCM will time out the device and unregister it.  If you have a second device contact UCM to register, typically UCM will automatically deregister the current device and allow the second device to take over the registration.  Why?  If a device is contacting UCM while a current registration is active, UCM assumes the device lost it's previous registration state and needs to reregister.  In this scenario, UCM shuts down the other registration to allow the new registration.

From your question, I think the scenario you're talking about is the second. 

Thanks,

Dan Keller

Technical Marketing Engineer

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

dakeller
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Cisco UCM has a couple of defensive mechanisms that will help out here.  First off, UCM monitors for periodic refresh timers from registered endpoints.  If the device has not sent a refresh message, UCM will time out the device and unregister it.  If you have a second device contact UCM to register, typically UCM will automatically deregister the current device and allow the second device to take over the registration.  Why?  If a device is contacting UCM while a current registration is active, UCM assumes the device lost it's previous registration state and needs to reregister.  In this scenario, UCM shuts down the other registration to allow the new registration.

From your question, I think the scenario you're talking about is the second. 

Thanks,

Dan Keller

Technical Marketing Engineer

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: