cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Threat Centric NAC - AMP Compromise Notification

scamarda
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Testing TC- NAC. Have established ISE - AMP Console communication.  I have three questions.

1) My 2.2 ISE is registered to the AMP console and shows status of connected.  When I look at the AMP console, the URL for my ISE is defined as the internal name ise240.metlab.local.   Does the AMP console reach out to my ISE or does ISE reach out to the AMP console?  In other words, is notification a push or a pull method? Does it matter that my ISE is not routeable/reachable directly from the Internet.  It does have outbound Internet, just not inbound from the Internet.

2) Is there any automatic action to take when this happens?  I see there are Threat Centric attributes available in the AuthZ policy config but nothing that reflect a compromised host.  Is there an attribute I can set to True, similar to how Anomalous Behavior works.  In the documentation it talks about manually applying an ANC policy.

3) Does this work when the malware notification comes after a ThreatGrid analysis or is retrospective?  Meaning that the file was executed as unknown and then marked as malware after ThreatGrid analysis.

Thanks.

Sam

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

hariholla
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

1) My 2.2 ISE is registered to the AMP console and shows status of connected.  When I look at the AMP console, the URL for my ISE is defined as the internal name ise240.metlab.local.   Does the AMP console reach out to my ISE or does ISE reach out to the AMP console?  In other words, is notification a push or a pull method? Does it matter that my ISE is not routeable/reachable directly from the Internet.  It does have outbound Internet, just not inbound from the Internet.

ISE receives IOC (Indicators of Compromise) events and “Threat Detected” events from AMP. During the AMP adapter configuration, you can specify which subset of events you want to subscribe to, that is used to send a POST request to AMP for those event types. Once ISE registers to the events, it will create a SSL connection to the AMP Queue and hear for any notification there after from AMP. 

2) Is there any automatic action to take when this happens?  I see there are Threat Centric attributes available in the AuthZ policy config but nothing that reflect a compromised host.  Is there an attribute I can set to True, similar to how Anomalous Behavior works.  In the documentation it talks about manually applying an ANC policy.

No, the action cannot be automated today. The following are the ‘Threat’ options today (in ISE 2.2), you can author a policy on:

Screen Shot 2017-04-27 at 10.55.43 PM.png

3) Does this work when the malware notification comes after a ThreatGrid analysis or is retrospective?  Meaning that the file was executed as unknown and then marked as malware after ThreatGrid analysis.

The analysis on AMP is retrospective (more of an AMP/Threatgrid feature). I believe, there needs to be an active session on the PSN for the threat indices to be concatenated, which then gets published to the Policy Admin Node to be shown under 'Context Visibility'. (Copying jeppich and imbashir to keep me honest)

Cheers!

-Hari

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

hariholla
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

ISE receives IOC (Indicators of Compromise) events and “Threat Detected” events from AMP. During the AMP adapter configuration, you can specify which subset of events you want to subscribe to, that is used to send a POST request to AMP for those event types. Once ISE registers to the events, it will create a SSL connection to the AMP Queue and hear for any notification there after from AMP. 

No, the action cannot be automated today. The following are the ‘Threat’ options today (in ISE 2.2), you can author a policy on:

Screen Shot 2017-04-27 at 10.55.43 PM.png

The analysis on AMP is retrospective (more of an AMP/Threatgrid feature). I believe, there needs to be an active session on the PSN for the threat indices to be concatenated, which then gets published to the Policy Admin Node to be shown under 'Context Visibility'. (Copying jeppich and imbashir to keep me honest)

Cheers!

-Hari

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

... Does the AMP console reach out to my ISE or does ISE reach out to the AMP console?  In other words, is notification a push or a pull method? Does it matter that my ISE is not routeable/reachable directly from the Internet.  It does have outbound Internet, just not inbound from the Internet. ...

ISE will reach out to AMP. It would work and quite normal that ISE not reachable from Internet while allowing to Internet.

Thanks for the info.  I am good to go.