cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3rd Party Optics

ldickerson1
Level 1
Level 1

What is the official policy from Cisco if a customer uses a 3rd party Optic (SFP)? I have read where Cisco switches can tell if it is not their product and may shut down the port. I have also read there are simple workarounds to this issue. I am curious to know if Cisco will automatically deny support of void maintenance agreement if they discover a 3rd party optic.

2 Replies 2

cori.hahn
Level 1
Level 1

The Cisco guideline for support and warranty services for the use of third-party memory, cables, gigabit interface controllers (GBICs), filters, or other non-Cisco components is as follows:

• When a customer reports a product fault or defect and Cisco believes the fault or defect can be traced to the use of third-party memory products, cables, GBIC's, filters, or other non-Cisco components by a customer or reseller, then, at Cisco's discretion, Cisco may withhold support under warranty or a Cisco support program such as SMARTnet™ service.

• When a product fault or defect occurs in the network, and Cisco concludes that the fault or defect is not attributable to the use of third-party memory, cables, GBICs, filters, or other non-Cisco components installed by a customer or reseller, Cisco will continue to provide support for the affected product under warranty or covered by a Cisco support program.

The nature of the defect or error is the key to determining Cisco support obligations.

Cisco also reserves the right to charge the customer per then current time and material rates for services provided to the customer when Cisco determines, after having provided such services, that the root cause of the defective product was caused by a third party vendor supplied product.

Source: Third Party Components - Cisco Policy - Cisco

good info and confusions are cleared a bit.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: