cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How much server required for APIC-EM lab use?

WendellO
Level 5
Level 5

Hi all,

I am hoping to find out what some of you have used for your APIC-EM server in your home lab. My goal is to figure out how much hardware someone might need to purchase to run APIC-EM bare-metal. (I would likely run it under ESXi, but the bare-metal comparison can be a little more straightforward.) But I'll take input on bare-metal or on ESXi, either way. Anyone out there that is willing to share, I’d love to hear!

In particular, what specific CPU and RAM. Also, if you were doing anything that you thought might stress APIC-EM (volumes of API calls? Discovering large networks with large IP address ranges?) would be good to know. I’ve run it on a 4-core CPU in lab with no problem (install docs say minimum of 6 cores), but I’ve not stressed APIC-EM to any large degree.

Hoping to generate an ongoing conversation here. In case it helps:

Just to get it rolling, so far I’ve used the following:

• Generic Rack mount server with:
  • Intel E3-1220V2 processor
  • 32G RAM
  • 500G HDD
  • 6 x 1Gbps Ethernet
  • bare-metal install
  • Mostly doing API calls, QoS, discovery of small (10 device) networks, nothing high-volume

Thanks,

Wendell

5 Replies 5

yawming
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I also learned about disk throughput may play a role too and hope can get some guide line.

Hi Yawchen!
Yep, I see that 200 MBs requirement in the install docs, and it makes me wonder what led to that particular line item. Maybe we'll learn more. Looks like SATA I, II, III, only SATA I is too slow by spec at least. I'm pretty sure the disks on the server I'm using are SATA I (150MBs).

Wendell

32G is the min ram for 1.x

As Yawchen says, disk IO is pretty  critical.  slow disk mean longer startup times, to the point where it may not actually start.  For a small lab you can get away with less than 200MB, but milage will vary and it is not officially supported.  if you could get SSD that would really rock.

cpu come into play as well.... slower disk and smaller memory require more cpu.  Think we claim 12 for full support.

Hey Adam,
Thanks! So, sounds like I shouldn't waste my time trying to boot it on a server w/ 16G? (Just a curiosity).

But in all seriousness, the goal is so much what's needed for full support (I agree, the current install docs say 12 cores recommended). It's more what's needed to get it working in a home lab that's likely not more than dozens of network devices.

Maybe spend to get 32G (at least) and an SSD, but possibly save money on the number of cores? That's consistent with my experience so far.

Thanks,

Wendell

Hi Wendell,

the challenge with 16G is even if you got it to boot (we used to support 16G) you will find limitation when you enable other applications.  I.e. non-deterministic behaviour.

Adam

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

This community is intended for developer topics around Data Center technology and products. If you are looking for a non-developer topic about Data Center, you might find additional information in the Data Center and Cloud community