cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Devices stuck in UNKNOWN state

Vag
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 devices stuck in unknown state. I've tried to re-discover them, but there was no change in their status.

Then I tried to delete them and I got the following error message:

apic-em 1.jpg

apic-em 2.jpg

I have restarted the APIC-EM server, but I still get the same error messages. The discovery doesn't show any errors.

Any ideas how to fix this?

23 Replies 23

pmuthuva
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Can you please share the cluster setup or the inventory-service logs to look into the issue.

Thanks,

Pragatheeswary M

Hi Pragatheeswary,

It's a single server setup. Do you mean the apic-em-inventory-manager-service Instance Logs output  from controllerDevelopment tab?

execute:  cd bin

execute: grape instance status

This will display all of the services.  Look for the apic-em-inventory-manager-service and note the ip address.

execute: ssh <ip of inventory service>

execute: tar czvf logs4tac.tgz /var/log/grapevine/services/apic-em-inventory-manager-service/5.1.3.1009/

NOTE: the version at the end of the path differs depending on what you are running

execute: exit

execute: scp <ip of inventory service>:logs4tac.tgz .

execute: exit

Now the file can be retrieved with filezilla or such.

sftp://<ip of inventory service>:logs4tac.tgz .

pmuthuva
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Vag Le,

I meant the instance logs of apic-em-inventory-manager-service.

The steps are as shared by Nicholas.

ngoldwat
Level 4
Level 4

What displays when you hover over the 'i' next to unknown?

Vag
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the answers everyone,

I've followed the instructions and produced the logs4tac.tgz file with a size of 85.9MB (1.34GB uncompressed).

Some of the log files (43) are empty, some are up to 100MB and some of them have quite a bit of information on the network topology..

Are we looking for a specific file that might give an indication on the nature of the issue?

pmuthuva
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please share apic-em-inventory-manager-service.log* logs.(assuming it is 2.0.X build)

If it is earlier build (1.4.X) , please share apic-em-inventory-manager-service.log, apic-inventory.log, xde.log, existenceInventory.log, inventory.log

Assuming that you are referring to apic-em-inventory-manager-service build (unless I'm missing something and APIC-EM v2.0.x is out somewhere), it's version 5.1.3.1009 (APIC-EM Version 1.4.3.1009).

I have attached the apic-em-inventory-manager-service.log

pmuthuva
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I was mentioning about the APIC-EM version. Since it is 1.4.X please share apic-inventory.log, xde.log, existenceInventory.log, inventory.log logs too.

Please ignore. Looks the attachment has all log files. Will take a look and update you.

Is there an APIC-EM v2.0.x out? Where can I get it?

aradford
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

no. it has not been released yet.

there will be a 1.5 before 2.x

pmuthuva
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please share inventory.log, apic-inventory.log, xde.log and  existenceInventory.log too. I thought all these files were in the attachment. But only apic-em-inventory-manager-service.log is available and that does not have the info on the issue.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

This community is intended for developer topics around Data Center technology and products. If you are looking for a non-developer topic about Data Center, you might find additional information in the Data Center and Cloud community