Views
Helpful
Replies

Spark compared with Jabber

salim.guerid
Level 5
Level 5

Hi,

I am considering to switch all my Jabber clients to Spark but struggle to understand which feature I will lose. Is there any features gap for a typical Jabber usage (IM, Voice, Video, Presence, Voicemail, Call to Video endpoints such as SX10/20/80 or TX9000/IX5000)?

Thanks

3 Replies 3

skilambi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Salim

As you know both clients are trying to solve different use cases/work styles. There is some points of intersection of course. Jabber is more for your ad-hoc IM/P, classical available/busy presence states. Spark is more activity based presence, are u online, have u used the client in the last 10 min, 24 hours or more

Spark was written mobile first easier for file shares/transfers/flagging and search filters. Jabber is PC centric ported to mobile too but needless to say over MRA specifically file transfer needs MFT turned on and persistent chat rooms aren't built for mobile like spark

UC is where they differentiate the most. Jabber is heavy telephony centric, park/pickup/transfer/conference/H Log. Spark is simple desk phone control and soft phone with answer/decline and that's it. Maybe in the future some cases might like conference(where today u can but within spark clients vs PSTN numbers). desk phone control is coming for CUCM endpoints, today only spark reg clients

Sharing in Jabber works even on IM without a call vs Spark that needs a call established first but needless to say sharing will be enhanced even more in spark M2 plan down the road

Spark will have more tighter integration than Jabber for joining meetings such as fast join into a meeting, see who is in the meeting before going into the space and many more enhancements planned which can't be discussed here

Jabber has emoticon support on desktop vs spark

Both support SIP URI dialing to call other video endpoints and receive content share. Spark proximity on the other hand has more features and easier to get working and supports moving of calls. Jabber has no concept of proximity.

Jabber through UCM can talk to H323 endpoints too via and can handle IP dialing but spark cloud is pure SIP dialing unless u bring in a cloud services like CMR to bridge disparate protocols.

Hope this helps, mark them as answered or helpful please

salim.guerid
Level 5
Level 5

HI Srinivasan,

Many thanks for the helpful answer. Coud you let me know when the following will be available:

- Visual voicemail: OnPrem access or Spark based

- Call transfer

- IM integration with Jabber

- Meeting view tab

1) Planned on the roadmap with hybrid services

2) No plans I have seen

3) Today in limited trials between Spark and Jabber with Messenger aka cloud, On premise on the backlog

4) Already there for Cisco internal/EFT/partners but not rolled out to customers(soon planned) will require the site to either support CI or be CI linkage which is a way for legacy sites to get Spark attached to WebEx