Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco UCS Server Firmware Upgrade

SubashSeer
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Guys ,

We are going to upgrade the firmware of UCS ( infrastructure and server firmware ) from 2.2 to 3.1 ! We have some technical questions we have 2 UCS chassis and each chassis it have 6 Blade servers and we have 7 number of VMware Esxi ( 4Esxi in chassis 1 and 3Esxi  chassis 2) it's covered around 50 VM machines  ! while server firmware upgrade from UCS it will ask reboot the blade server that time i would like to reboot the server one by one and i don't want lose unwanted shutdown any one of VM-Machines   ! how can I achieve this goal ?

Best Regards

Subash

00967-738555958

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

SunilKumarPatel
Level 1
Level 1

Yes.. You can achieve this.. You can reboot ESXi host one by one after putting in maintenance mode. Make sure you have Maintenance Policies - user acknowledged from UCS side.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

SunilKumarPatel
Level 1
Level 1

Yes.. You can achieve this.. You can reboot ESXi host one by one after putting in maintenance mode. Make sure you have Maintenance Policies - user acknowledged from UCS side.

SubashSeer
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Sunil

Great Thanks your mail and i have attached my UCS maintenance policy i think reboot policy User Ack is available

Thanks

UCS Maintenance Policy .png

Perfect.. You can upgrade... Just get confirmation from Cisco TAC that u can 3.1 from 2.2.

Dear Sunil ,

Thanks for your great answer ! I have final questions when can I make the maintenance mode in Esxi host before upgrade server firmware or after upgrade the firmware it will ask to us for reboot .. That time can we do maintenance mode ?

Best Regards

Subash.T

Send me email on lbxsunil@gmail.com and I will share proper steps.

Hi sunil,

Please could you check your mail

Best Regards

Subash.T

Add your blade firmware to a host firmware policy.  Add that host firmware policy to the service profile template.  If you have your maintenance policy set correctly (acknowledge), then you'll get alerts for all blades affected before the firmware upgrade happens.  I've leveraged both Cisco Powertool and VMWare PowerCLI to automate the process.  I utilized Powertool to grab each blade with acknowledgement alert.  Then loop through each one by use PowerCLI to put that host in maintenance mode, once in maintenance mode, Powertool acknowledges the alert on the blade.  I then create a loop that checks the status of the blade in UCS.  Once status is Ok, then it loops through checking the status in VMWare (the server may be up and OK in UCS, but the VMware OS is still booting).  Once it comes back to "connected" state in VMWware. the script moves to the next ESX host.

@christopher Eakin

Hi Chris,

would you please share the scripts and steps

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card