Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC & APs not showing in Topology Map

tech_king
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Ive been setting up locations in my topology map and just recently added my WLC and APs. The devices have successfully been added to the device inventory but for some reason when I add them to my Main Office location I am unable to see them in the topology map. However, I can see the APs in other locations other than my main office. Can someone help?

14 Replies 14

ddeitsch1
Level 1
Level 1

So I don't have any APs or WLCs in the system that I have to look at - but I am wondering if they are considered hosts, and if so do you by any chance have hosts toggled off for the main office? (top right of site topology screen, looks like a computer monitor, when you mouse-over it says "Toggle Hosts".

Its still not showing. What I noticed is that the number of devices in the location map hasn't changed since I added the WLC and APs to the location. When I add the APs to other locations the appear in their respected topology maps though.

If you go to the device inventory screen and filter by location tag, do the APs and WLC show up with the correct location tag?

Yes they show the location. What I just tried was to relocate them to another location but they still didnt show up. That might be due to cdp not discovering them on the LAN though.

Can you try using the search bar at the top of the topology screen? Maybe that will point in the correct direction...

They arent showing up in there either

So I still have a few devices that do not have a location and when I search for them in the topology map, they still show up and just say no location. What I think this indicates is for some reason, your WLC and APs are not accessible by whatever service is running the topology module - which makes little sense to me.

There are a couple guys from Cisco that monitor this forum pretty often as well and they generally have a bigger picture view than I do so I am hoping that when they see this thread they will chime in with a better idea.

Quick question - you mentioned CDP earlier so I think you already are aware of this.- at your Main Office site is CDP enabled on the interfaces that the WLC and APs are connected to? There is a bug out there that mention CDP is a requirement.

Yes CDP is enabled. The only difference between the AP's that show and the ones that done is that they are using flexconnect. Its rather strange that the WLC doesnt show at all either in the Topology Map but all the devices show in the device inventory.

Flexconnect mode is not (currently) supported for topology or path trace.

This has been requested several times.  Did you want to use the "I wish this page would" button?

Adam

And Adam showed up with that bigger picture view.

As always, Thank you Adam!

Hi the APs that are in Flexconnect mode are currently showing in the topology map in their designated locations. Its the ones that are locally at my HQ that arent showing.Also, the WLC  isnt showing in the map either which is bugging me.

ok, looks like we support flex for topology (which makes sense as we just added flex connect pnp support).  it is not supported for path trace.

one other thing to check.  there is an ongoing issue with domain-name an AP in topology.

if you are using "domain-name" for AP they do not show up in topology correctly.  Check the DHCP scope for the head office to see if that has a domain-name vs the remotes ones that are working

Tried that but still no luck

If you do a "show cdp ne" on the switch the AP is connected to, does it show up with domain name assigned?

To remove the domain name, i am pretty sure you need to reset the AP.

Can i confirm, you were using domain name?

There is a know bug in topology with AP domain names.

Adam