Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Outdoor AP 1562E for VoWLAN

Eng Yeong Ng
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Sir / Mdm.

Good Day, Based on the resources I checked, voice over the wireless LAN (VoWLAN) does not currently support MESH technology such as Cisco Aironet 1500 Series Lightweight Outdoor Mesh Access Points. however, is that a way if i dont use MESH then the VoWLAN can work with outdoor ap ?

Thanks a lot.

3 Replies 3

ammahend
VIP
VIP

VoWLAN is like any data communication with addition of QOS and voice parameters, making Voice packets compete quicker for the airtime than other packets. So if you don't use mesh and have a fiber or Ethernet to your outdoor APs with capwap tunnel back to WLC, you should be able to send VoWLAN packets over air just as you would do for indoor AP.

Keep in mind that VoWLAN has strict RF requirements, in terms of RSSI (ideally -65 dBm for Cisco, -58dBm for spectralink etc), consideration to your voip device receive sensitivity, overlap, number of voip devices per cell etc. So if can meet all these requirement with outdoor AP, I don't see a reason why it shouldn't work.

Can you describe your use case in little more detail.

-hope this helps-

Hi Bro,

Good Day, thanks for your information . it was very helpful .

Rafael E
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Based on documentation: Cisco Wireless Mesh Access Points, Design and Deployment Guide, Release 8.0 - Connecting the Cisco 1500 Series Mesh Acc…

"Voice is supported only on indoor mesh networks. For outdoors, voice is supported on a best-effort basis on a mesh infrastructure"

So means it can work, check the document there are some thing you have to take into consideration to try it. Still I would look for other options.....

Regards,

Rafael

Saludos,
Rafael - TAC
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card