Views
Helpful
Replies

"Unable to open HKLM key" when opening TSP Notifier Configuration

rkorn
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I'm getting the following error message when attempting to open the TSP Notifier configuration via the taskbar: "Unable to open HKLM key."

When instead attempting to configure the tsp via Control Panel->Phone and Modem->Advanced->CiscoTSP001.tsp, I get the following errors/strange behaviors:

Unknown language and the US English is being used by default. (not exact message but that's the gist)

If I enter the CTI Manager Location and save -> upon reopening the IP Address is no longer present. ie The tsp configuration is not being saved properly.

I also noticed that the TapiSrv Telephony service was not running and was set to Manual start as opposed to Automatic in services.

My guess is this has something to do with missing registry entries.

CUCM : 10.5

OS      : Windows Server 2016 64-bit

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thank You!

Richard

10 Replies 10

dstaudt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It does sound like either the registry entries were not created correctly on install, or aren't accessible for some reason.

I wonder if it's possible this is related to admin/non-admin permissions...normally installing the TSP requires admin permissions on the PC, however I'm not sure of all the permutations with installation of the user-space stuff like the notifier and config clients.  E.g. if the TSP and components was installed by a systems management tool (with admin permissions on the box), it's possible the notifier/config apps may not have the correct permissions when a regular user uses them...

It might be informative to remove all TSP components (reboot), and reinstall as admin, then try the notifier/config components under the admin's local account and then with a user account.

As this hasn't been reported elsewhere, it may be this is something specific to your setup.  If you are not able to resolve the issue, I would suggest opening a DevNet Developer Support ticket, providing details of your OS/version, installation steps to reproduce (including any software management tools and user permissions involved), and the install logs from C:\temp\CiscoTSPInstallLogs: Cisco DevNet: DevNet Developer Support

Uninstalling and Installing removed the hkey issue and was able to configure the tsp, however, I am unable to collect monitor lines via my application. I still believe this to be TSP driver issue as it was configured to Log all details for TAPI,CTI, and TSPI yet no logs were produced. Perhaps I missed a step when uninstalling? I simply ran the setup.exe and selected uninstall then rebooted the machine.

dstaudt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Some questions/suggestions:

- Did you reboot after the re-installation?

- Did you install and testing using the same (admin) account?

- Is the Windows 'TAPI' service running?

It might be worth looking into the TSP install log as mentioned above.

- Did you reboot after the re-installation?

Yes I did

- Did you install and testing using the same (admin) account?

All operations have been done under the same full-permission domain-admin account.

- Is the Windows 'TAPI' service running?

If you mean the "Telephony" service "TapiSrv" then no, it is not starting on reboot. It was originally set to manually start, I switched it to automatic to no avail. Manually starting it does not affect our ability to monitor lines.

Thanks!

dstaudt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Sounds like this instance of Windows is not playing well with TAPI or the Cisco TSP.  I suppose it could be a some valid config on the Windows box the Cisco TSP is not expecting, a broken Windows install, or some problem in the Cisco TSP installer or plugin.  It would be interesting to know if the problem occurred on another system, and/or a fresh Window 2016 Server install...

I would suggest at this point opening a ticket with DevNet developer support as suggested, providing the install log and other details as above, so we can troubleshoot in more detail.

Some more info regarding the cucm version: 10.5.2.10000-5  and I've attached the install log

There is a fee associated with opening a DevNet developer ticket correct?

Thank,

Richard

dstaudt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The install log looks OK to my eyes...

Were you able to try installing on a fresh instance of 2016 Server? 

The system TAPI service should definitely be running for TAPI/TSP to work - this seems like the most immediate issue.  On my (Win7) machine, the Telephony service depends on RPC and Plug-and-Play services (not sure about 2016 Server).  If you are unable to get Telephony started even before installing the Cisco TSP, then you may need to work with the service administrator and/or Microsoft to solve.  If TAPI for some reason won't start only with the Cisco TSP installed then we can look in more depth.

Opening a ticket has a fee associated, which allows us to prioritize with our dev support team via SLA, escalate to engineering, etc.

We were able to reproduce the error locally on a vm of Windows 2016. Furthermore we found the the TapiSrv service would begin to run only when starting our application. The symptoms are equivalent. We are getting the following error in the system event logs on both machines on boot. We've navigated to the DCOM in attempts to change permissions but were unable. We navigated to the CLSID in the registry to change permissions on the key but were unable. Anyways, here are the messages:

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID

{8D8F4F83-3594-4F07-8369-FC3C3CAE4919}

and APPID

{F72671A9-012C-4725-9D2F-2A4D32D65169}

to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

This similar message also pops up from time to time

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID

{D63B10C5-BB46-4990-A94F-E40B9D520160}

and APPID

{9CA88EE3-ACB7-47C8-AFC4-AB702511C276}

to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

prviveka
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Richard,

Can you let us know whether the user has administrator privileges.

Regards,

Pradeep

Hi Richard/,

Looking into the issue.
Can you please let us know the exact Call Manager Build or the TSP Version on which the customer is facing the issue.

Thanks and Regards,
Sathya

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: