cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to extend L2 vlans with OTV and ACI?

jgesualdi
Level 1
Level 1

I have a DR network running ACI in network centric mode.  I need to extend some productions vlans from my classical production network which is running on 6509's/VSS. to this DR ACI network. I want to focus this discussion on what I need to do on the DR ACI side.  First a bit of background on my network.  The production network and DR ACI network is connected via MPLS 600 meg link, with  60 msec latency. I choose OTV as my L2 interconnect. I also purchased  2 ASR 1001x's,  one for the production side and one for the DR side to accomplish this.  On the DR side the ASR1001x serves as my  CE router connecting to the MPLS WAN. I control this router. I also have two l3 connections from this ASR to my ACI network, These are the ACI l3outs which connect ACI to the WAN.

I want to use the ASR as my OTV router. I have two free 10 gig interfaces on the router to be used for OTV.. I'm assuming I should connect these to ACI via  a new l2out usig  VPC?  Can the Join interface be a loopback on the ASR router? I believe this is called OTV inline? For the vlans that I need to extend I would create a  BD/EPG that resembles my production vlan and statically assign it to the l2out? Am I going down the right path?  What else do I need to consider or research?

Thanks.

2 Replies 2

Brandon Rumer (Cisco)
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

I was looking for a specific document for almost the exact same requirement as yourself. I have seen said documents but am unable to recall where and my searches are not coming up with much. For now, I will point you to the below which should hopefully confirm your thoughts, or at least continue to assist in pointing you in the right direction:

Look at the 'OTV Layer 2 Extensions' section. In our cases, we would want to add a L2 extension (Static EPG Binding) that is connected to the ASRs.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/aci/apic/white_papers/Cisco_IT_ACI_Design.pdf

Additionally, 'OTV as DCI transport' section:

Cisco Application Centric Infrastructure Dual-Fabric Design Guide White Paper - Cisco

If you find anything more specific/helpfull than the above links please share as well.

I hope this helps,

Brandon

edson.araujo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi jgesualdi, were you able to find more information on this configuration?  I'm also looking for a similar solution to inter-connect an ACI data center in network-centric mode and a legacy data center using traditional design with catalyst 6500 switches.  I'm also interested in using OTV and ASR1k.

Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

This community is intended for developer topics around Data Center technology and products. If you are looking for a non-developer topic about Data Center, you might find additional information in the Data Center and Cloud community