cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS MINI (3.1.3a)- Network Failover Test - LAN PIN GROUP to Uplink, link down state not changing on server vNIC

mrprithviraj
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Friends,

We got brand new UCS mini box and I’m trying to setup and test the Network failover.

2 Core SW - Cisco 4500x –

2 uplink per IOM to Core Switch

1 port channel per IOM- LACP (Port-channel 11 for IOM-A eth1, eth2. Port-channel 12 for IOM-B eth1, eth2)

I have created 2 LAN pinning group for port-channel 11 and 12.

On blade, Windows Server 2016 Hypver-V BOOT from SAN running.  2 vNIC – eth2 on Fabric-A, eth3 on Fabric-B. inside the OS, I have created TEAM with active standby.

When I shutdown the port-channel 11. My Hyper-V host is not reachable as the blade eth2 link state is not changing.

Please help me to fix this issue.

Much appreciated your Help.

1 Reply 1

thomsonac
Level 4
Level 4

It seems that fabric failover is still preferred.  Here is the best practice whitepaper (though from 2014).  I couldn't find an updated paper with a quick google search

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/solutions/collateral/borderless-networks/advanced-services/Whitepaper_C11-730725.pdf

My immediate thought is that when you shutdown the port-channel on the FI, the port channel to the blade is not affected so the link may not show as down and actually fail-over to the other vNIC.  In addition, in-bound traffic will only ever use one of the vNICs anyway so unless you plan to push a ton of out-bound traffic only, you're not gaining much.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card