Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus Switch Model Recommendation

arkar bo bo
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

One of my customer looking for top of rack (TOR switches ) Nexus Series. Their requirement is as below.

Requirement

==========

10 GB ports x 6 ports ( SFP +)

1 GB ports x 3 ports ( Copper SFP)

I checked on nexus series but most of the switches provide a lot of unnecessary switch ports . As the project is budget one , as long as i can get minimum fit for above requirement will settle. Kindly suggest which model + module to use. Thanks in advance.

2 Replies 2

dbrittin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi!

We're moving this question to the Nexus Series Switches forum where there are more Nexus experts.  We'll also reach out to the Cisco Nexus team for you.

The thread URL won't change.

Denise Brittin

Manager, Cisco Portfolio and Customer Community Programs

David Hild
Level 11
Level 11

You are not going to find any switch port density smaller than 24 ports on the Nexus lines, but most are 48 ports. If budget is an issue then I would suggest an end-of-rack architecture instead of the top-of-rack. It means they will have to cable all devices to the end of the rack, but you reduce equipment footprint (and cost) by a great deal and too many unused ports is no longer an issue. For EOR acrchitecture I would recommend the Nexus 9K series. If they want to do unified ports (Fiber Channel or Ethernet) then the Nexus 5K is best. Both can use the Nexus 2K Fabric Extenders (FEX) for future port density and scalablity.

I hope this is helpful.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: