Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to authenticate via API

Ben Clifton
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I'm able to successfully login to the APIC with a particular set of credentials via the GUI, but when I try to login via the API I get "Username or password is incorrect - FAILED local authentication".

Below is the request I'm making, along with the response:

Request

URI:

https://[APIC]/api/aaaLogin.json

Body:

{"aaaUser": {"attributes": {"name": "username", "pwd": "password"}}}

Response

{

"totalCount": "1",

"imdata": [

{

"error": {

"attributes": {

"code": "401",

"text": "Username or password is incorrect - FAILED local authentication"

}

}

}

]

}

Is the APIC trying to authenticate this user against the local user store rather than TACACS+?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ben Clifton
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry everyone. I should have read the doco more closely.

"aaaLogin—Sent as a POST message, this method logs in a user and opens a session. The message body contains an aaa:User object with the name and password attributes, and the response contains a session token and cookie. If multiple AAA login domains are configured, you must prepend the user's name with apic:domain\\."

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Ben Clifton
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry everyone. I should have read the doco more closely.

"aaaLogin—Sent as a POST message, this method logs in a user and opens a session. The message body contains an aaa:User object with the name and password attributes, and the response contains a session token and cookie. If multiple AAA login domains are configured, you must prepend the user's name with apic:domain\\."