Views
Helpful
Replies

SD-Access wireless Design Question

Pranay Prasoon
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

Question related to campus fabric wireless Design? What does design requirement says about placing the WLC in a campus fabric?

a) Can we have one WLC in one fabric, example all the access point on three different sites in the same campus fabric can connect with one controller?

b) If (a) is yes, then what is the constraint regarding the latency, etc?

Thanks

5 Replies 5

Darren Roback
Level 5
Level 5

There are two deployment models for wireless in software defined access - over the top and fabric enabled. In both models, the WLC will sit outside of the fabric. For fabric enabled wireless, there is a latency constraint between the controllers and APs of 20ms. In an over the top deployment model, the same latency requirements as traditional CUWN would apply.

Hi Darren,

Thanks for the response. Yes i am aware of the deployment mode. My question is in a campus fabric can we have AP at different sites and wlc at a centralized location inside same fabric.

As long as the latency doesn’t surpass 20ms between the APs and the controller this should be fine.

When you say latency constraint between the controllers and APs of 20ms is that tround trip or one way?

If I make a ping test from AP to controller and it shows 38ms when devided with 2 then 19ms is the actual latency between AP and Controller ?

I'm fairly sure that this is RTT.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: