cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco UCS PE Release 3.1 (2ePE1)

dmp
Level 1
Level 1

I recently downloaded the UCS PE to prepare for the deployment of a UCS solution consisting of:

- UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis (with 2x Fabric Extender Cisco UCS 2208XP)

- UCS 6296UP 96-Port Fabric Interconnect Appliances

- UCS SmartPlay Select B200 M4 Standard 2 Blade Servers

The default configuration includes a number of fabric rack servers, a mix of chasses (including the model above), and a mix of blade servers (including the above model). There is a fabric interconnect device, but it is not the above model. With its default configuration, the emulator has everything connected.

The issue: when I change the fabric interconnects to the models I need (UCS 6296UP), the connections to the chassis I need (UCS 5108) is dropped (goes to red). When I try to configure the fabric extender, the model in my configuration (UCS 2208XP) is not listed.

The "user's guide" for the emulator is not very robust. I cannot seem to locate other documentation.

Is the issue a limitation of the emulator? Am I overlooking something?

Any information or insight would be appreciated.

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

dsoper
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I've verified that a 2208XP can be added to a blade chassis and connected to the 6296UP FI.  Here's an annotated screenshot of how to add/connect the iom:

add and connect iom.png

Here's a screenshot of adding/inserting blades to the chassis after it is connected:

add and insert blades.png

I've also captured an example xml configuration file with the above config at Example UCSPE XML config file that can be imported by selecting "Import from file", choosing/loading the xml file, and restarting UCSPE:

Screen Shot 2017-11-09 at 10.17.50 AM.png

Let me know if you have issues with the above steps or an import of the xml configuration file.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

dsoper
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I've verified that a 2208XP can be added to a blade chassis and connected to the 6296UP FI.  Here's an annotated screenshot of how to add/connect the iom:

add and connect iom.png

Here's a screenshot of adding/inserting blades to the chassis after it is connected:

add and insert blades.png

I've also captured an example xml configuration file with the above config at Example UCSPE XML config file that can be imported by selecting "Import from file", choosing/loading the xml file, and restarting UCSPE:

Screen Shot 2017-11-09 at 10.17.50 AM.png

Let me know if you have issues with the above steps or an import of the xml configuration file.

Thank you! This was an incredible help.

In the user's guide for the emulator, I read passed or missed the "drag and drop" functionality.

I was able to build the desired hardware configuration, with one exception. The configuration I am working with is using SD storage as the local boot device. This does not appear to be an option in the emulator. I was able to identify and locate the remaining hardware components.

Now I am off to UCS Manager, and the "real" fun. :-)

Thank you, again.

dsoper
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Good to hear the configuration is now working.  You are correct that SD cards are not currently supported by UCSPE, but that is a feature request currently in the UCSPE roadmap.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card