Just curious how many people are following the changes for version 12 AND have CUCM’s that do not have access to the internet. I have not seen anything from Cisco on a solution for customers that do not want or can’t complete their licensing AND encryption on the internet back to Cisco. Let me know what you have heard and what you think. I heard one customer state a “rumor” that 12.5 will have a PLM option but it will have to be air-gapped back to Cisco periodically. Below are some sections from the ordering guide. Also, noticed that there will be “special” licensing for using security certifications. I assume this is snuck in there so they can start charging as a feature under Smart Licensing.
- 2. Smart Licensing in Unified Collaboration Manager
- 2.1. Smart Licensing in Unified Collaboration Manager 12.0
Starting from release 12.0, (a) Unified Communications Manager, (b) Session Manager Edition (c) Unified Communications Emergency Responder will support Smart Licenses ONLY.
- 2.1.1. What is Changing
● Every customer implementing UCM 12.0 should create Smart Account. Please visit the following URLs for access to materials to enable Smart Account overview and creation:
◦ https://www.cisco.com/go/smart accounts
◦ Smart Licensing and Smart Accounts FAQ for Partners, Distributors and Customers -
● Greenfield customers and brownfield customers implementing UCM 12.0 no longer require PLM
● Customers implementing UCM 12.0 Smart Licensing will no longer receive PAK
● Licenses are not locked to Cisco Prime® License Manager or Product Node
● Customers upgrading from older versions of Unified Communications Manager to Unified Communications Manager 12.0 must migrate the existing licenses to Smart Licenses. Please visit Migration to Unified Communications Manager 12.0 for step by step instructions communities.cisco.com
Smart Licensing and Smart Accounts FAQ for | Cisco Communities
Smart Licensing and Smart Accounts FAQ for External Audiences: Partners, Distributors and Customers.
If a deployment requires Unified Communications Manager 12.0 to run in Mixed Mode please be informed of the changes to the behavior and requirements to run the restricted Unified Communications Manager SW image:
- 1. To run Unified Communications Manager 12.0 in Mixed Mode, it is necessary to register successfully the Unified Communications Manager 12.0 with the “restricted” Registration Token from Smart Account and Virtual Account.
- 2. If you are a Customer with Smart Account with Export functionality allowed, AND you are running in or interested in running Unified Communications Manager 12.0 in Mixed Mode, make sure the token option checkbox for “Allow export-controlled functionality” is checked (which will generate a restricted Registration Token).
- 3. If you don’t need to run Unified Communications Manager 12.0 in Mixed Mode, you can leave this box unchecked (which will generate an unrestricted Registration Token).
- 4. If you are a Customer with a Smart Account for whom Export Restrictions apply, you will only be able to generate unrestricted Registration Token only and Mixed Mode is not available to your deployment.
- 5. If you are a Customer with Smart Account for whom Export Restrictions apply, AND you have been granted a regulatory Export License (please refer https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/about/legal/global-exporttrade/manage-your-export-holds-export-ops/license.html)
allowing Cisco to ship you an Export Restricted image please be informed that Cisco Smart Software manager currently is unable to recognize the Export License with granted exception. If you are running Unified Communications Manager in Mixed Mode or interested in running Mixed Mode, we recommend you do NOT upgrade to 12.0 at this time.