Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE-PIC Automatic Agent - IseExec remote copy failed

Michal Garcarz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Team,

ISE 2.3 + Windows 2012 (with all patches).

Manual PIC agent deployment works fine. But not automatic (i have few DC's on which i have not deployed manually, wanted to use automatic deployment).

When trying to deploy agent i got:

Screen Shot 2017-12-03 at 19.53.08.png

I am using Administrator account will full permissions. I am not sure what protocol is being used for the deployment, RDP is working fine (non secure-domain version).

What am i missing ?

I have followed:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/2-2/pic_admin_guide/PIC_admin/PIC_admin_chapter_011.html#task_497A82982E584E79BFD9E4CA8ADDC955

But there is no explanation how the agent is deployed. I do assume not via WMI, because if i would have WMI working i could use option "Config WMI", but that one is returning me:

Screen Shot 2017-12-03 at 20.07.03.png

This error as per:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/identity-services-engine-22/210522-Configure-ISE-2-2-PIC-with-Active…

should not happen if i use Administrator credentials (i have used those for both AD join and WMI/Agent deployment).

Sorry for not providing logs/debugs - i hope the have a quick win here, if not will provide more data/spend more time on this.

Thanks,

Michal

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

PassiveID uses ISEexec (based on PSexec) to remotely copy the agent installer and run it.  For that to be successful, you need to make sure the account you are using has domain admin priviledges and nothing less.  Also, make sure those credentials are saved in the PassiveID configuration.  Since you are using ISE and not ISE-PIC, you have the option to save the credentials during join time to the domain.  ISE-PIC does this for you automatically while ISE does not.  If you have the above correct and are still running into the same error, please open a TAC case to further troubleshoot.

Regards,

-Tim

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Jason Kunst
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Can you put this under the pic Community?

https://communities.cisco.com/docs/DOC-72047<https://communities.cisco.com/docs/DOC-72047?mobileredirect=true>

Hi Jason, done

PassiveID uses ISEexec (based on PSexec) to remotely copy the agent installer and run it.  For that to be successful, you need to make sure the account you are using has domain admin priviledges and nothing less.  Also, make sure those credentials are saved in the PassiveID configuration.  Since you are using ISE and not ISE-PIC, you have the option to save the credentials during join time to the domain.  ISE-PIC does this for you automatically while ISE does not.  If you have the above correct and are still running into the same error, please open a TAC case to further troubleshoot.

Regards,

-Tim

Thanks Tim, it looks like i had all of this correct. Need to gather all logs and open TAC case then. Thanks!

euribe007
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I'm having the same error here with a customer.  We're using the Domain Admin account and receive the same error. At a debugging level, we see:

12/12/2017 14:36:34,WARNING,139712584996608,[LwKrb5GetTgtImpl ../../lwadvapi/threaded/krbtgt.c:329] KRB5 Error code: -1765328378 (Message: Client not found in Kerberos database),lwadvapi/threaded/lwkrb5.c:892

No idea how to correct this, followed all the guides and enabled debugging for the relevant logs but it all seems to indicate that the user we're using doesn't exist, which isn't possible.

Yep Esiquio, multiple others do have similar issue, sorry but did not have yet time to troubleshoot (and open a TAC case). If you will have a chance to solve it please update this thread. Thanks !

Submitted a TAC case yesterday, waiting for a response.  I'll definitely update this post once I find out the exact source of whats going on.  We've troubleshot the issue pretty extensively so far, going as far as manually running the executable that was sent to the ADMIN$ on the Domain Controller, and getting a general error.

Please submit a TAC case as Tim suggested for further troubleshooting.

Adding my experience with a similar problem and frustration with vague responses from ISE. I'm adding this here as it's one of the top results when you search for my ISE error.

Environment:

2012 r2 and 2016 DC's

ISE v2.6.0.156 patch 3

Errors:

"Failed to run executable on <2016 DC FQDN>, Error: unknown root cause, iseExec execution failed."

At first I was able to 'Configure' and 'Test' the 2012R2  DC's but the WMI deployment would fail with the same error as the 2016's.

On the 2012r2 DC's i saw IDs 7045 and 7036 in Event Viewer that the iseExec service installed, started then stopped OK. But ISE would fail with the above error.

I opened a TAC case, was told to run through more manual pre-reqs from earlier versions of ISE. Before i did that, i tried one last thing.

All I did was reset the password in AD for the service account I had created for this task with no special characters .

So, say the pw was: Example$P@55Word^Here

I changed it to: ExamplePa55WordHere

and everything started working. Hope this helps someone.

*EDIT: Apparently this stemmed from having a $ in the password and outlined in this bug https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvs14297

This has be resolved as of 2.6.0.156-Patch5, though i haven't personally tested it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: