cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple PSNs and mainting RADIUS auths

markwpearson
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking to setup a distributed deployment of 2 x ADM, 2 x MNT and 4 x PSN nodes for our wireless network. I don't wish to use a LB for the PSNs. We have 6 x Cisco WLCs and I was going to setup the WLANs so that on cont1 wlan1 points to PSN1 on cont2 wlan1 point to PSN2 etc to spread the load. My question is, how does the ISE handle th eclient roaming from one controller to the other if he roams from an AP on cont1 to an AP on cont2 (hence different PSNs) ? Is this a problem ? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Craig Hyps
Level 10
Level 10

This is more of a wireless questions as it all goes back to "which controller is sourcing the RADIUS request".  In general with L2 roaming, the controller remains the same and so RADIUS is sourced from same WLC.  With L3 roams, it is possible to move between controllers so source of RADIUS request could also change on reauth.  As I recall, you can configure symmetrical design where requests are tunneled back to original controller and session maintained. 

I would still recommend LB for better load distribution and to simplify the WLC fallback configuration.  If any WLC is experiencing high activity, it cannot benefit from unused capacity in other PSNs.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Craig Hyps
Level 10
Level 10

This is more of a wireless questions as it all goes back to "which controller is sourcing the RADIUS request".  In general with L2 roaming, the controller remains the same and so RADIUS is sourced from same WLC.  With L3 roams, it is possible to move between controllers so source of RADIUS request could also change on reauth.  As I recall, you can configure symmetrical design where requests are tunneled back to original controller and session maintained. 

I would still recommend LB for better load distribution and to simplify the WLC fallback configuration.  If any WLC is experiencing high activity, it cannot benefit from unused capacity in other PSNs.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: