cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What wireless Acess point i should select for my office area ?

rajesh.rathore
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Members, please suggest me which basic Cisco AP I should purchase for my covered office area i.e. (9x21)mtr.? where concurrent local network users are 10-15. where these users will use ERP client system, MS office and Outlook 2016. All users are under active directory environment. Does can we work effectively in wireless network without any slowness issues ? our budget value is also under Rs.20,000 only. currently my vendor suggested me for WAP121 and WAP150N models. kindly suggest me for better performance.

Regards

Rajesh Rathore

2 Replies 2

dmh
Level 5
Level 5

It is difficult to answer your question without a lot of additional information.

Ideally a site survey should be performed based on your coverage and density requirements which will also identify any RF challenges (physical and/or transmitter interference) in the environment which will help determine if internal antenna APs are suitable or if some external antenna APs are also required (and the type of antenna). The survey would need to be done for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.

The clients you will be using must also be considered as they will support different wireless standards (eg 802.11e/k/r/v 802.11ac wave 2, number of spatial streams etc) and have different receiver sensitivity and transmit power characteristics affecting their connection capability and quality. For example, if none of your clients support 802.11ac wave 2 then buying APs that support this may be overkill (unless you want to future proof the solution).

Besides the RF considerations you also need to consider connectivity (switch type, interface speed and type eg mGig) and power (PoE supported eg 802.3af or 802.3at etc).

The following provides a comparison of the features of all Cisco APs:

Access Points - Compare Series - Cisco

The following design guide goes into a lot of detail regarding the points above as well as looking at application requirements. Although the guide is for high density deployments the information can be helpful for most wireless deployments.

Wireless LAN Design Guide for High Density Client Environments in Higher Education - Cisco

sudhir.gupta1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Rajesh,

if you have ony 10- 15 users then you can go WAP150N or in enterprise 1700 will suffice, but again you need to consider the the Coverage and obstcle also the Application  used in the environment also the End devices as mentoned by dmh.

Rgds/Sudhir

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card