Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber Bot SDK - make direct_mention detection case-insesitive

WolSen000
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

during my trials to get the BOT SDK up and running and creating some Bots I was facing the problem that the Bot didn't act on @BotName (direct_mention) in a group-chat.

During the debugging I found the cause to be the case sensitive search for the jids:

function findBotJid(jid) {

return jid === bot.client_jid;

}

function IsBotMentioned(message)

{

let mention_jids = ExtractMentionJids(message);

if (mention_jids.find(findBotJid))

{

return true;

}

return false;

}

So if the jid you use to register the Bot is not exactly the same as the one configured on IM&P/CUCM, especially if it differs in upper/lower case letters then the Bot will never trigger for any @mentioned messages.

var bot = botCTRL.spawn({

client: {

jid: 'jabberbot@company.com',

password: 'super-secret',

host: "im&p-host@company.com",

port: 5222

}

});

It took me quite some time to figure this out, especially as I wasn't able to get the group-chat working in the SandBox you provide: NEW Sandbox! Jabber Client 12.0 w/ Jabber Bot SDK!

After I found the problem, I checked the RFCs and other sources on the web, but unfortunately I couldn't get a clear statement if the JIDs are case-sensitive or not.

So you might consider either making the search case-insensitive:

function findBotJid(jid) {

return jid.toLowerCase() === bot.client_jid.toLowerCase();

}

... or at least adapt the documentation to mention this pitfall.

Besides that it's working great and I like it very much. Will start to code some Bots right away....

Thanks and best regards
Wolfgang

3 Replies 3

dstaudt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Thanks for reporting this issue, the engineering team has indicated they will be committing a fix shortly.

There's another issue we are experiencing where the TO field is appending a unique identifier and the findBotJid function isn't matching.

Example:
botclientID is testbot@nerdherd.local

the TO field in the message for a direct mention in a chat is coming in as:
to: 'testbot@nerdherd.local/0d2a112473b111ad1f3c7213c3532d5d7f5932ee',

Any thoughts on this?

Jason

fixed it. it was the regular expression .. it was only looking for 3 letter domain TLDs like .com .. we are using a 5 letter one in the lab and had to adjust the expressions in the following places.

in the function
function extractMentionJids(message) {
let direct_mention_reg = /href="xmpp:\s?(\w+([\.-]?\w+)*@\w+([\.-]?\w+)*(\.\w{2,5})+)\s?"/ig; <- had to adjust it from 2,3 to 2,5

let email_reg = /\w+([\.-]?\w+)*@\w+([\.-]?\w+)*(\.\w{2,5})+/i; <- same here had to adjust it to 2,5

and now it works. just in case anyone runs into this in the future - especially with the advent of longer TLDs
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: