cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question: from Prime API, can one query a single client using MAC address?

gong
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Does anyone know if it is possible to query a single client using its MAC address? From the documentation I didn't find it, but just in case I missed anything.

A follow up question in the case the answer is "no", and my understanding is that to query a single client, I need to use the "entity ID" as the key, for example:

https://localhost/webacs/api/v3/data/ClientDetails/15.json

What is the lifetime of that ID (15) ? Can I rely on it to be referring to the same client on the same Prime Infra Instance?

Thanks in advance for any answers!

gc

2 Replies 2

Spencer Zier
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

GC, the answer is yes, please see this related question.  The lifetime of the ID does vary from resource to resource.  For Client Details, as long as Prime Infrastructure believes it's the same client, and as long as the client is not pruned (you can configure Client Data Retention under Administration > Settings > System Settings > Client and User > Client and other Data Retention settings on the same page under General > Data Retention), the ID will map back to the same client.  So if the client is associated today, disassociates, and re-associates tomorrow, they should have the same ID.  If the client is pruned from Prime Infrastructure (for example, for being disassociated for too long) then it will have a new ID.  We don't reuse IDs.  In sum, an ID should always refer back to one, unique client; but a unique client, over time, may have more than one ID (but never more than one at any given time).

I hope that answers your questions.  Please reach out if you need any more help

appreciate your help. thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: