Views
Helpful
Replies

Finesse Workflow Screen Pop and IE Session Features

SEAN NILSEN
Level 4
Level 4

Hi All,

Internet Explorer has the feature of opening a new Session (File -> New Session) that basically partitions browser sessions/cookies.

I've run into a scenario where I have a need to launch screen pops in a new IE Session to support multiple sessions to a Web Application that we're popping. That Web Application doesn't really have an ability to address the Session issues. (no really, it can't be addressed on that side)

The screen pops are currently being handled by a simple workflow using URL params. We've tried including and removing the "Window Name" from the config but all that feature really controls is whether a new window/tab is opened vs reusing a specific window/tab. It doesn't force a new Session space to be associated to the newly opened window.

There are some command line params to launch IE to force a new session: iexplore -noframemerging -nomerge <url>

For desktop security reasons, we're really trying to NOT go down the thick-client pop rabbit hole.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to accomplish this?

Should it be supported by the workflow?

I have a strong feeling we're in "Feature Request Land" as opposed to "Bug Territory" but wanted to see if anyone out there has run into this/solved it previously.

Thanks!

2 Replies 2

dekwan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Hm. I don't have any experience trying to open a new session for IE as a screenpop. I tried to google around and I didn't find anything useful. Since you said that there is a command line to force a new session, that would be the route I'd pursue. But, googling around, some people say it isn't possible to invoke command line from JavaScript while others say to use the ActiveXObject. I haven't personally tried this myself, but maybe you can see if it works?

Thanx,

Denise

Thanks Denise!

I'm familiar with a couple of approaches to invoking command line from JS and they all have some limitations and issues.

One of the ways is using something like the Cisco Thick Client demo gadget, but that relies on Applets, which are being deprecated in most of the browsers.

Another potential avenue is using custom URI's, but that requires registry changes across all the agent desktop's AND freaks out some of the desktop and security folks that I've talked to about it but its really the only viable long-term solution at the moment.

Seems like that may be the only path though if no one else can think up another way around it.

I was hoping to avoid that since its all browser-based.

-Sean

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: