Views
Helpful
Replies

Deployment Failed - Failed to Create User Data

MISOULE
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have installed the C3 infrastructure, the CCO for the cloud region (VMware) shows Running status, mapped the Image ID for the cloud, and modeled a 1 tier application using only a single image mapping.

I found the following post and double checked everything it mentions: How does CloudCenter support VMware templates

Full error detail from UI: "Failed to launch VM's..failed to create userdata\n Additional logs for debugging is :Failed to launch VM's..failed to create userdata"

Searching through Kibana I found the following error messages from /usr/local/cliqr/logs/gateway.log, but unable to get more context. Is the bootstrap script a dependency or could it cause the error the UI reflected?

service.LifecycleClusterStartAction [threadPoolExecutor-5] - Exception occurred while launching VMs

impl.GatewayServiceImpl [threadPoolExecutor-5] - Failed to read linux bootstrap script from URL cdn.cliqr.com/bootstrap-cliqr-init.sh, but worker images should still work.

event.LifecycleEventProcessor [threadPoolExecutor-5] - Exception occurred while resolving Action-event.

service.LifecycleClusterStartAction [threadPoolExecutor-5] - Exception occured in lifecycle

I changed the level to debug on the gateway.log and got a little more, but still nothing that helps define what "user data" is. It just looks like it inits a new deployment is missing "userdata" and fails the deployment.

com.osmosix.gateway.GatewayServiceException: com.osmosix.gateway.GatewayServiceException: failed to create userdata

at com.osmosix.gateway.lifecycle.event.LifecycleAgentListener.onApplicationEvent(LifecycleAgentListener.java:7) [classes!/:4.8.2]

Caused by: com.osmosix.gateway.GatewayServiceException: failed to create userdata

... 28 more

at org.springframework.context.event.SimpleApplicationEventMulticaster.multicastEvent(SimpleApplicationEventMulticaster.java:139) [spring-context-4.3.11.RELEASE.jar!/:4.3.11.RELEASE]

at com.osmosix.gateway.impl.GatewayServiceImpl.createInstancesAsync(GatewayServiceImpl.java:633) ~[classes!/:4.8.2]

at java.net.URL.<init>(URL.java:439) ~[?:1.8.0_152]

at org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.publishEvent(AbstractApplicationContext.java:393) [spring-context-4.3.11.RELEASE.jar!/:4.3.11.RELEASE]

at com.osmosix.gateway.lifecycle.action.orchestration.common.AbstractNodeStartAction.launchAsync(AbstractNodeStartAction.java:255) ~[classes!/:4.8.2]

at org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.publishEvent(AbstractApplicationContext.java:347) [spring-context-4.3.11.RELEASE.jar!/:4.3.11.RELEASE]

Caused by: java.net.MalformedURLException: no protocol: cdn.cliqr.com/bootstrap-cliqr-worker.sh

2 Replies 2

jeoakey
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Michael,  I'd suggest a TAC case for this one as there are a couple different areas to look into as to why you are seeing this problem and TAC would be able to get you to a resolution quite quickly I believe.

There are a few other nuances for VMware that you could check as well in parallel and can be found here

https://docs.cloudcenter.cisco.com/display/CCD482/VMware+Configurations

and here, under VMware - Cloud and Network Settings  https://docs.cloudcenter.cisco.com/display/CCD482/Deployment+Environment+Defaults

Thank you for the information Jeremy. I am thinking the issue is in some way related to the root disk configuration. I think I will review that and some of the information in the second link you provided, then if I am still having trouble escalate.

Thank you!