cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Does Cisco (WebEx) have a RESTful API?

bbbeal
Level 1
Level 1

I have a customer who's wondering if Cisco WebEx has a RESTful API and if so, do you know where documentation can be found?

They're attempting to do some custom reporting and possibly administer user privileges via script.

My googling has only lead me to documentation regarding xml and url api which seems can be called only via php and does not seem to support what they're trying to do. Looking, specifically, for documentation/info that supports the usual RESTful get/post/put requests.

Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Hello,

WebEx does not offer REST APIs currently, but there are tentative plans to offer some basic REST functionality in the future. XML API does not care which platform is used if it supports HTTPS POST with TLS encryption. It is also correct that the XSD was built in JAVA and will not easily compile to .Net objects. You may modify the local XSD to get them to compile, but it may break the resulting XML document so it is generally recommended that developers just create a XML string. URL API is not recommended for new development, while it is a simpler platform, it is older and more restricted than XML API, the PHP references are simply backward compatibility for the legacy API, there is no PHP running at the actual URL API service.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

kieran
Level 1
Level 1

TLDR no doesn't look like it

long answer

Doesn't seem too - what is stopping you using the XML api. The XML api does not require PHP and there are code exampels for building the XML from .NET/Java.

To be brutally honest trying it from .NET is pretty annoying because you have to static build the xml because you can't reference xsi:types on xml objects since the classes required for the request inherent from java given the schema for functions i.e.e authenticate user etc. This means you have to splice in the types before requesting from the API as a final hurrah. So using the xsd's provided are a bit meh, their examples show them appending string and building xml from scratch, which hey, is also fine i'm not one to judge.

Hello,

WebEx does not offer REST APIs currently, but there are tentative plans to offer some basic REST functionality in the future. XML API does not care which platform is used if it supports HTTPS POST with TLS encryption. It is also correct that the XSD was built in JAVA and will not easily compile to .Net objects. You may modify the local XSD to get them to compile, but it may break the resulting XML document so it is generally recommended that developers just create a XML string. URL API is not recommended for new development, while it is a simpler platform, it is older and more restricted than XML API, the PHP references are simply backward compatibility for the legacy API, there is no PHP running at the actual URL API service.

Getting Started

Welcome to the Webex Community. This is your home to ask questions, share knowledge, and attend live webinars.