Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE licensing - Blocks to Band based in 2.4

vark00001
Level 4
Level 4

Hi All,

I have a confusion related to the new licensing change post 2.4 . We are at a very initial stage of green field deployment of ISE on organization . The roll out plan has been asked to be designed in step-wise roll out with phase wise migration from offices to offices with some delay between each phases .

Keeping in view the stage-wise requirement we planned to purchase ISE licences in blocks , Example 1000 base and plus licences in phase one ,  Additional 2000 at the beginning of phase twoand so forth .

However , in the middle of planning we have come to know of the change and therefore asking question since this may change our plan a bit.

As I see now the ordering is split into numbers , so I have a different part code for 2500 - 4999 users , 5000 - 9999 users , 10000 - 24999 users .

So what will that mean for our roll out ? lets say we have rolled out the ISE for 5000 users , and in next phases we want to add more 5000 users ? will we then stop using licensing ( 2500 - 4999 users) and buy a new ( 5000 - 9999 users ) license ?

If yes , then looks like we will loose lot of money.

On other hand if we buy a bigger license in beginning ( lets say 50000 - 99999 users ) then we may save cost of not repeating the license and get discount on bulk purchase but will loose time and money on idle sitting licencse in teh duration of roll out .

What can be the best way to us ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

pjatapro@cisco.com
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Varun - you can continue to use existing licenses without any hiccups and purchase more as you need, whether from block based or band based SKUs. The ease with band based SKUs is if you wanted 2300 quantity, you can just go the appropriate band and buy one SKU, whereas in the legacy block model, you would have had to buy a 1500 qty SKU + 1000 qty SKU and still be left with 200 qty that you didn't need. If you're buying periodically, you can choose the appropriate band at the time of purchase for each unique purchase.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jason Kunst
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

pjatapro is our licensing PM i fowarded along to her

Thank you jason!

as i see in ordering portal old licence type of block based are still available and in the ordering guide there is no clarity what is future. Our cisco counterparts tell us that idea is in future you will be able to pay for exact number of license you use , like 5678 if going with band based . But exactly how , i am not clear.

but thanks for forwarding to pjatapro , really waiting for good answers .

pjatapro@cisco.com
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Varun - you can continue to use existing licenses without any hiccups and purchase more as you need, whether from block based or band based SKUs. The ease with band based SKUs is if you wanted 2300 quantity, you can just go the appropriate band and buy one SKU, whereas in the legacy block model, you would have had to buy a 1500 qty SKU + 1000 qty SKU and still be left with 200 qty that you didn't need. If you're buying periodically, you can choose the appropriate band at the time of purchase for each unique purchase.

Thanks Pushyamitra ,

But while going through cisco commerce website and trying to order the licencse , i see options like 5000-9999 block not really the number like 7776

Is there any document or demo available for this kind of ordering ?

Varun