Views
Helpful
Replies

VM Quantity when ordering ISE

Stephen Colby
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Please update the ISE Ordering Guide (as of at least May 2018) to specifically call out that you MUST order the quantity of VM SKU you require. 

The 2.4 release notes do explicitly state this:

Cisco ISE is also sold as a virtual appliance. For Release 2.4, it is recommended that you install appropriate VM licenses for the VM nodes in your deployment. You must install the VM licenses based on the number of VM nodes and each VM node's resources such as CPU and memory. Otherwise, you will receive warnings and notifications to procure and install the VM license keys in Release 2.4, however, the services are not interrupted. (https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/2-4/release_notes/b_ise_24_rn.html)

I know before 2.4 we required this anyway (though VM size didn't matter and was right-to-use) otherwise we wouldn't have 5-packs of the VMs etc. And yet, I am running into partners and customers repeatedly asking me this now and they remain confused.  Updating the ordering guide to remove ANY ambiguity would save time and frustration across the board.

Thanks,

Stephen

2 Replies 2

kthiruve
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Thank you for the feedback Stephen.

I will pass this on to the PM's.

-Krishnan

I agree.  I have also raised an enhancement request that would clearly tell customers/installers WHICH license they need to apply for. Currently, after installing a fresh ISE 2.4 there is no mention of which VM license is required. It tells you that there are insufficient VM licenses, but not of WHICH size.  It's only after you apply the wrong one that ISE tells you that you have the wrong one.

I wanted to share a very concise info snippet from Craig Hyps and this was the information I have been looking for a long time.  He explains which VM License is required when related to how ISE detects the hardware.

Be careful when building your own VM's from .iso to ensure that you allow ISE to detect the appropriate "size"

You can see what the platform is in ISE 2.4 by either entering command "show tech-support | begin "Profile : " at node CLI, or look at Platform column under Operations > Reports > Diagnostics > ISE Counters.

The result will be one of the following:
EVAL
IBM_SMALL_MEDIUM
IBM_LARGE
UCS_SMALL
UCS_LARGE
SNS_3515
SNS_3595
SNS_3595 <large>

Anything other than EVAL and SNS_xxxxx is a defect and needs to be removed since no other supported options in ISE 2.4.

• EVAL and SNS_3515 will require Small VM License
  • SNS_3595 will require a Medium License (but bug CSCvk09877 causes some system to be detected as LARGE!)
  • SNS_3595 (large) will require a Large License
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: