Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ACI Spine Replacement

TomMik
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I have non-production ACI fabric and I was in a multi-pod setup with POD-1 having two spines and POD-2 having one spine. All spines from both PODs are connected to a single IPN switch.

I replaced the old spine switch in POD-2 (C9336PS switch (36 ports)) with a new one (C9332 (32 ports)).

On the old spine, I have connectivity to IPN via port eth1/36. All OSPF configuration is associated with this interface. I need to migrate this configuration to the new spine and port eth1/32. This should not be a problem.

1. Navigate to Tenant > infra > networking > L3out >> MPOD >> Logical Node Profiles >> INTERFACE-PROFILE and remove the OLD-SPINE sub-interface. i.e. DC-SPINE-100-Eth1/36 and then build new one for eth1/32 but I hit some issue.

"Failed to delete object. Invalid Configuration Cannot remove L3Out configuration which will bring down the multipod network reachability to POD:? while the POD is still configured. This includes removal of L3Out, l3extInstP, node, interface, OSPF configuration which will bring down the underlay connectivity."

Error basically says it will take the pod down and doesn't let you delete it, this is obviously because there is just 1 spine.

I'm looking for a solution to replace this Spine. My initial idea was to delete this POD-2 and rebuild from scratch, but I'm open to other suggestions.

I'd appreciate if anyone could share their experience or knowledge on the best approach for this.

Thank you 

1 Reply 1

Remi-Astruc
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi @TomMik ,

As you have both old and new Spine connected to IPN anyway, you can simply configure the profiles for the new Spine, connect to Leaves, and let it being discovered. Then remove and clean the old Spine.

Regards

Remi Astruc

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License