Views
Helpful
Replies

Third party wireless solution on top of Wireless on top of SDA Fabric

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello Everyone,

As I am using ExtremeIQ (Cloud WLC) for the wireless solution, We are planning to start a discussion about DNA center implementation. Currently, we have a license for the Extreme Cloud WLC and APs so we want to use it for a while more. 

So is it possible to use the Extreme Wireless Solution as the top of SDA Fabric? Keep in mind that there will be local switching only. 

Control panel traffic will move directly to the cloud. What will be the limitations and do I need any extra licenses or devices for it?

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!
3 Replies 3

jedolphi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Hi Deepak,

Endpoint (MAC) roaming between SD-Access Fabric Edge Node switch ports will be delayed because SD-Access checks the validity of a MAC move before the move is permitted. This is achieved by polling the roamed-from port. If the MAC replies on the roamed-from port then the MAC move is a spoof and the move is blocked. If the roamed-from port does not reply, then the MAC move is assumed valid and is permitted. This introduces ~500ms roaming latency which might cause problems with real-time applications. Fabric-Enabled wireless and centrally switched wireless do not have this latency, it pertains specifically to locally switched (aka FlexConnect) wireless.

In SD-Access there is the new “Intra-Subnet Routing” feature which will accelerate MAC moves on the Fabric Edge Nodes for locally switched wireless solutions. Intra-Subnet Routing is coded into the latest releases of SD-Access but is not yet Generally Available, so I’d encourage you to please discuss it with your Cisco SE to get some more information and potentially gain access to the feature.

Thanks, Jerome

Thanks for your reply,

My question is: How SDA will authenticate Wireless Clients because there is no direct link between SDA & Extreme IQ?  Or just i need to keep open/No authentication for SSID VLAN on the DNA center?

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

Hi. Authentication of wireless clients needs to happen within the 3rd party wireless solution. Same as if 3rd party AP was connected to a traditional Ethernet switch. Regards, Jerome