Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ISE License

azizk220
Level 1
Level 1

Hi to All Engineers,

i hope to be fine, i have ISE server version 2.7 which already install Base and Device Admin licenses for TACACS how do i Backup from the both Base and Device Admin licenses, when i want to reinstall ISE 2.7 and restore that both licensee to the new install server

best regards

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you are using Smart licensing, then just deregister the existing server first and then register the new instance with a new token from the Smart licensing section of software.cisco.com.

If you are using classic PAK-based licenses, then rehost the licenses from the LRP section of software.cisco.com which is where traditional old-style licenses are managed.

View solution in original post

With PAK-based license keys, the ISE configuration backup can be restored onto the same physical appliance or VM. The license file is embedded in that backup and will be in the restored configuration.

If you need to restore to a new host, you will need a new license key which requires access to the software.cisco.com license registration portal where the license was initially issued from. If you do not have that, then your restore will result in a deployment whose license in non-compliant until and unless you install a new license or rehost the initial one - both methods requiring portal access.

It looks like you are doing method # that I already mentioned: "If you need to restore to a new host, you will need a new license key which requires access to the software.cisco.com license registration portal where the license was initially issued from. "

Without a rehosted or new license, you will not be able to proceed.

15 Replies 15

als3608
Level 1
Level 1

hello

If you have already applied the license, you need the license file when reinstalling. If you request the file from tac, you can get it again and apply it to the reinstalled ise.

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you are using Smart licensing, then just deregister the existing server first and then register the new instance with a new token from the Smart licensing section of software.cisco.com.

If you are using classic PAK-based licenses, then rehost the licenses from the LRP section of software.cisco.com which is where traditional old-style licenses are managed.

azizk220
Level 1
Level 1

thanks for the reply i don't have the email and password of the smart Account which ISE server is register to that account and i register the ISE server 5 years ago i forget the email and password of software.Cisco.com and my question can i take backup from the ISE licensing from GUI to apply that again for the rehost.

If you are using PAK-based licenses then a full ISE backup and restore will include those licenses.

But you should get he licensing straightened out sooner rather than later. 2.7 is almost end of support and migrating to 3.0+ will require you to convert those PAKs to smart licenses.

thanks for the reply, in cisco ise we have two backup DATA-Backup and OP-Backup in these two backup licenses don't include how can i get full backup of ise to include the licenses.

Are you using PAKs or smart licenses?

PAKs can be rehosted to new hardware or VMs from the software.cisco.com licensing portal.

Smart license registration information is included in the data backup and automatically be in the restored appliance configuration.

thanks Rhoads,

i would like to tell you my complete problem i am using 2.7 version ISE which has PAKs 5000 quantity and 50 devices Admin licenses which is already install in to hardware 3595  but  unfortunately i don't have the username and password of the account which i have the PAKs licenses, my question is there any way to take backup of my installed licenses to re-hosted to new hardware i hope you understand my question.

No - what you are asking is not possible. You or someone at your company who owns the licenses must have access to either the portal at software.cisco.com or entitlement to open a Cisco TAC case for that same portal to get the PAK-based licenses rehosted. PAKs are associated with a hardware device's serial number when the license is issued. Rehosting to a new appliance requires reissuing a new license from the original PAK.

thanks, can i backup from the installed licenses.

I've explained the different use cases and you have not explained what is still unclear.

Backup a server using PAK-based licenses > restore to a new server requires PAK rehosting. Restore to the same server does not require any change.

Backup a server using Smart licenses > restore to a new server will happen by de-registering the old and re-registering the new using a token.

thanks Rhoads, and I appreciate you.

the thing which is not clear for me backup of ISE license i mention you before i don't have the username and password of the account which have PAKs license my Cisco ISE server software has problem and i want to reinstall the ISE ios is there any way to re-host the installed license (you mention before ISE full backup include PAKS license) how can i take ISE full backup to has the PAKs license)

With PAK-based license keys, the ISE configuration backup can be restored onto the same physical appliance or VM. The license file is embedded in that backup and will be in the restored configuration.

If you need to restore to a new host, you will need a new license key which requires access to the software.cisco.com license registration portal where the license was initially issued from. If you do not have that, then your restore will result in a deployment whose license in non-compliant until and unless you install a new license or rehost the initial one - both methods requiring portal access.

azizk220
Level 1
Level 1

i lost the ise license, but i take the configuration backup before  lost the license when i restore the backup in CLI but i can't login to GUI

It looks like you are doing method # that I already mentioned: "If you need to restore to a new host, you will need a new license key which requires access to the software.cisco.com license registration portal where the license was initially issued from. "

Without a rehosted or new license, you will not be able to proceed.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card