cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SNASW?

tatumamrio
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I am a retro computing hobbyist and my question is not about "real world" scenario, before anyone suggests that what I'm working on is ancient and unsupported. I know that already.

I am setting up an SNA connection between two IBM midrange machines (AS/400s) and the documentation I'm seeing seems to suggest that I need "snasw" to make the connection I'm trying to make. I have two old 2651XM routers that seem to support STUN and DLSW but not SNASW.

I can make STUN work easily to connect the machines, but I'd like the Cisco to be able to do a little more of the switching since the ultimate goal of this setup would be something like 11 machines. DLSW should work for what I need, but most of the examples I see for it are host to FEP or peer to remote controller, and not peer-to-peer, which isn't working for me, but The Google suggests that SNASW will do the switching I need.

Can anyone point me to what model of router and what flavor of IOS I would need to support SNASW?

Thanks!

1 Reply 1

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Glad that you acknowledge that what you are seeking is not current and is not supported in current products. It is hard to know what versions of software support SNASW, seems that it needs to be newer than what you have and older than anything currently available. And getting a different image for your 2651s would be extremely difficult. So you may need to work with what you have.

I would have thought that DLSW would do what you need. Don't know what to suggest (and it has been a looooong time since I configured DLSW, so I don't have much to offer). If you can get it to work with STUN you may need to settle for that.

I wish you good luck with this. If you make any progress let us know.

HTH

Rick